Sorta OT: Gonna finally get my hands greasy

A while back, I posted up a thread with pics of all the goodies I bought to make right the Cleveland in my/my daughter Jessie's '73 Cougar XR7. Then, with the holidays and our upcoming Rodeo and a foster-kid moving in; I ended up sticking all the boxes of toys in the trunk of the Cougar 'til life slowed down for a while and it warmed up a little.

Well, the holidays are over; Rodeo ended last week (and I only have two more nights of 10-hours-in-the-sack to get caught up on my sleep); the foster kid moved right back out (didn't like our keep-track-of-the-kids attitude); and it's gotten very nicely warm this past week. So, I'm breaking out the tools :D

Before we tear into the Cougar, though; Larry (my F150) is gonna get some needed attention in the stopping department. The OEM brake pads are almost shot (replaced once at the dealership a year before I bought the truck); and I managed to ride the ABS from 70 to 0 MPH - in not much time at all, considering the load of hay in the back - and into a small lake that developed in the middle of the highway so there's a warped rotor in back :nonono: Just online-ordered up new rear rotors (both sides, 'cause I'm fussy that way) and EBC "Green Stuff" pads all the way around. 300 bones off the Discover card; and I hope they get in before Saturday.

Gonna play with toooo-ools, gonna work on the truuhhhhh-uuuck :banana: :banana: :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

From another thread:
Oh, hey, by the way krash; gonna do the brakes on the Lariat this weekend (if the parts come in). Can't wait to see how it goes; and I'm a little leary of what tools I'm gonna find out that I don't have for the truck.....

There's no magic to it. I don't recall ever using anything other than basic hand tools. My truck still has the rear drums, but based on how easy the front disks are to do you shouldn't have any snags with the rear disks. This won't be the last time you do the fronts, these things eat them because they are rather inadequate for the weight of the trucks.

Yup.... Been doing some "research" since I first typed that. The best write-up I got was from the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum ( www.ford-trucks.com ); f150online had nothing that could match it in the tech articles. The only things I'm lacking are the "caliper piston compressor" (but I do have the old existing inboard brake pad and an 8" c-clamp :D) and a small drum brake adjusting spoon. The spoon is because the back wheels have essentially both disc and drum brakes; the parking brakes are drum units inside the rotor hat. If I can't find the spoon I "made" for the wife's '02 Ram; I'll just go to Harbor Freight and get another cheap screwdriver to bend up.

EBC now has a longer-life formulation of Green Stuff that they call "SUV Supreme". It's only available for front disc assemblies; which makes sense considering that the front discs "do a lot more stopping" than the rear units. Cost me 20-something bucks more, but they're going to be worth it, I think.

FedEx tracking indicates a projected delivery date of this coming Thursday. I can't wait. :banana:

:D I've been working too finally. New Body is on the Cobra, next for the hood, windshield, and doors. It's looking like a Cobra again! :D

Dan, you're a heckuva guy; but I just gotta say this:

Take the wheels back off Cobrask8, grab your plastic and order up some "Red Stuff" pads for all four corners.
(And here's where I get in trouble)
Wave your creds around and get in with somebody at EBC; maybe you can get an endorsement deal - "Red Stuff" could be hereinafter nicknamed "Turn 9 Specials"
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :nonono:

Wave your creds around and get in with somebody at EBC; maybe you can get an endorsement deal - "Red Stuff" could be hereinafter nicknamed "Turn 9 Specials"
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Already got you covered. I run the HAWK Black pads. Once they get hot, just amazing the extra braking ability, it's so easy to overpower the tires, even at high speeds. The big downside is that after one day at the track, the wheels, which started out shiny grey, are a dull black from all the dust. But, They work when you can smell hot brakes after diving into turn 1, whoa-ing down from 120 MPH....

Well, I don't see me charging Larry at 120 MPH down some country lane (even in 4-HIGH); but I'll try to reciprocate.
I'll throw Chance and Dutch in the trailer and take them on a drive through town (Brake Controller shut off); and report back on how Green Stuff handles stop and go traffic with 5800 pounds (including 2650 lbs of antsy horse-flesh) trying to push the F150 through stoplights, dually diesel Dodge Rams, Winnebago's, etc :p

(Oh, and I'll polish the rims beforehand, too)

StangDreamin'- i gotta say this: I love your truck's name!! It made me chuckle b/c it is so fitting of a workhorse truck. Well executed on the name selection!

Thanks - I had a hard time coming up with a fitting name for the old boy; since buying a new (or new to me) truck was the last thing on my mind when I found myself having to do so. My 15-year-old Silverado, known around here as the "Rice-Eating Generic Chevy Truck" and personally as "Belle"; tried to warn me before she gave her last gasps, but I wasn't listening.

(Fritz and Dan, you'd best not laugh at the name Belle; else you'll incur the wrath of a Proud Serving Member of the United States Army, who named the truck right before her (the Soldier's) 5th birthday. That's right; Tink was watching Disney's Beauty and the Beast an average of three times a week back about the time I bought that truck) :D

Larry is the the fanciest vehicle ever to grace our driveway; power everything, deep carpets and butter-soft leather upholstery. Actually too nice a vehicle to belong to me; 'cause I know it's got a 4' by 6' trunk with no lid (except on the toolbox), a transfer case and two driveshafts, and a Class VI trailer hitch - all made to be used. Looks like cr@p right now with an 1/8" layer of dust where there's not 1-1/2" of mud, and pieces of several bales of hay floating around in the bed; but that Ford carried out the serious "Rodeo Duties" for me February 1st - 14th. I could have used the '07 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 that I was given for the "political" Rodeo Stuff. Dodge is a 1st-Tier Sponsor of the Professional Rodeo Cowboy's Ass'n; and our local Dodge guys annually put Dealer Plates on 3 new Rams for our PRCA Rodeo's 3-member "upper management team" to use for "Official Rodeo Functions" (mine had 11 miles on the clock when I picked it up, brought it back with 417 miles). But I often found myself using Larry becuse he had a trailer hitch, Rhino-Lined bed, a 4-wheel drive (the arena gets a little deep and muddy between performances); 'cause I wasn't to use the Ram's 4x4 or trailer hitch, or scratch the bed. Since I don't have $41,000 for a half-ton truck :eek: ; I just used the "Official Truck" (said so right on the magnetic signs on each side) as a fancy gas-guzzlin' car.
Once I get the brakes done, Larry has dates first with a pressure washer to blow the mud out of the wheelwells and bumpers and off the nerf bar/steps and then with a $75 detail shop (would be $50 more, but I'm gonna use my own Lexol and elbow grease on the seats). :nice:

Just got the box from FedEx.... no rotors? Why the heck would they send me EBC pads without the rotors that are the reason for my brake job???? :bang: Gonna be on the phone to Auto Parts Warehouse 1st thing in the AM :mad:

Fritz, besides the usual rodeo stuff, I spent way too much time playing "figurehead on a horse" when I wasn't operating a tractor, bucket truck or welder in the last 2-3 weeks. I can't spend too much time on my butt; 'cause what hasn't been chewed off or run ragged is just plain sore! I'm ready to spend some quality time not doing Rodeo - but the first planning session for next year is 10AM this Sunday; and I have to go play "visiting figurehead" at the Scottsdale Rodeo on the 2nd of March. :rolleyes: I'll take Larry - especially since the red Dodge apparently was spotted some time during the Rodeo, and has already been sold.

EDIT: I just check my email. Got three messages in a row from autopartswarehouse.com
Last to first: 1.) Message stating that "my order has been placed on hold because of a problem". :scratch:
2.) Message that my CC has been credited with a $138 credit for my returned rotors. :scratch:
3.)Message that I should be receiving an RMA # for the rotors I'm returning. :scratch:

Now my scalp is starting to hurt from all the :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
When did I claim a return on the rotors? More impportantly, Why?

The original pads weren't completely toast yet, but the passenger rear side pads are getting that way because of the warped rotor. I need those friggin' rotors! :bang:

I've got a call in to their customer service to return my call in the morning. try to figure out this mess and tell them that I'll just go to NAPA for the rotors..... :shrug:

(Fritz and Dan, you'd best not laugh at the name Belle; else you'll incur the wrath of a Proud Serving Member of the United States Army, who named the truck right before her (the Soldier's) 5th birthday. That's right; Tink was watching Disney's Beauty and the Beast an average of three times a week back about the time I bought that truck) :D
Why would we laugh at what any car dude would name his ride?:shrug:
Fritz, besides the usual rodeo stuff, I spent way too much time playing "figurehead on a horse" when I wasn't operating a tractor, bucket truck or welder in the last 2-3 weeks. I can't spend too much time on my butt; 'cause what hasn't been chewed off or run ragged is just plain sore! I'm ready to spend some quality time not doing Rodeo - but the first planning session for next year is 10AM this Sunday; and I have to go play "visiting figurehead" at the Scottsdale Rodeo on the 2nd of March. :rolleyes: I'll take Larry - especially since the red Dodge apparently was spotted some time during the Rodeo, and has already been sold.
I guess Sue doesn't fall for the old, "Honey my butt hurts, would you please rub it for me...?" any more huh? But, (no pun intended) have you tried "Yo Rodeo, my butt hurts, why don't you kiss it and make it better!":lol:
Now my scalp is starting to hurt from all the :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
That explains the bald spot!:lol:

An Update that seemed necessary......

Well, I found out that autopartswarehouse.com was back-ordered on the rotors; and since they don't do backorders to their customers, they took them off the order and processed the credit to my Discover as a "no-fee return". NAPA was out of stock when I called them Friday, still OOS on Tuesday. In the meantime; after doing more research I jacked up the front and had Jessie lightly on the brakes while I spun the wheels. Good thing they canceled the rear rotors; 'cause I would have been at NAPA getting front rotors this morning!

MrsStDr just came up with a short list of honeydo's for me - trip to the Credit Union and the feed store. When I get back, I'll upload some pics........

I wish I had the energy to work on sally this weekend.......but after the hell (two) weeks I've just been thru at work.......ask Sue about working w/ a raging GI virus that quickly triggers one's diverticulitis 'cause your employer has NO ONE to cover for you to be sick!
My last day off (Tues) I spent running back and forth twixt my bed and the bathroom......fortunately the sink is close enough to the loo that I could :puke: while doing the inside-out rectum rinse.:eek:
Fortunately, inspite of most of our residents and staff catching the bug, we didn't lose anyone.......did end up with two of my nursing staff in the hospital tho'!

ON TO THE PIC'S

Okay, before anybody asks why it looks like I'm "starting in the middle"; it's because I had one front wheel done before I thought to drag out the camera :rolleyes: Finally, Jessie (then Matt) grabbed it while I was in the middle of something.

And here we go:
F150Brakes001.jpg

Like I said, the camera wasn't thought of 'til the left front brake assembly was done! Here's Jessie getting ready to remount the wheel.

Passenger front:
F150Brakes002.jpg

I didn't pick the camera back up 'til I pulled off the caliper and the old pads. At least I took the pic before I pulled the caliper mount bracket and the rotor!
F150Brakes004.jpg

Yeah, I had started to hear the "squeaker" on this side while driving to work yesterday morning. Whew!
F150Brakes005.jpg

If you look close, you can see the "blue spots" at 8:00, 12:00 and 3:00 o'clock. Just a little bent!

Oh, did anybody notice the Super High-Tech hanger I spent many R&D hours fabricating to keep the weight of the caliper off the brake hose??? That's okay, you can see it in the next post......

Attachments

• F150Brakes004.jpg
    F150Brakes004.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 129
  • F150Brakes002.jpg
    F150Brakes002.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 117
  • F150Brakes005.jpg
    F150Brakes005.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 117
Front is almost done....

F150Brakes006.jpg

Jessie putting on the new rotor.
F150Brakes011.jpg

Me putting back on the caliper mounting bracket.
F150Brakes012.jpg

And Jessie installed the pads. I really like the fact that the pads mount on the bracket, and the caliper slides over the top. It saves muy mucho tiempo compared to horsing the pads onto the caliper and then finding out you didn't compress the caliper piston enough! Don't ask how I know, there's a pic coming up later :rolleyes:
F150Brakes016.jpg

Caliper mounted! Time to put the wheel back on.
F150Brakes017.jpg

Wheels on, off the jackstands. Jessie just torqued down the lug nuts and Matt handed her the center cap.
Yes, over on the right side you can see the bumper/tailights of the my/Jessie's next project; which I've taken to calling Battlestar Cleopatra Hey, jikelly and electricgreen; wouldn't you say that size matters with Mustangs/Cougars? :D
Oh, BTW: Sharp-eyed guys will notice the Duralast lable on the box below Cleo's bumper. A little more late night Googling netted me the info that AutoZone(d) slaps their label on the same mid-grade Aimco rotors that you get when you buy Raybestos' "PG Plus" rotors.
Yeah, I know; but the Brembo slotted/drilled rotors cost $340 for all four wheels. I'll save up for my next brake job!

Attachments

• F150Brakes012.jpg
    F150Brakes012.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 142
  • F150Brakes011.jpg
    F150Brakes011.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 119
  • F150Brakes006.jpg
    F150Brakes006.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 115
  • F150Brakes017.jpg
    F150Brakes017.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 125
  • F150Brakes016.jpg
    F150Brakes016.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 116
And now, "out back" :

Larry's already up on jackstands and the back wheels are off. Attacking the passenger rear brake assembly.
F150Brakes018.jpg

Jessie using our high-dollar caliper compression tool (a set of Pony@ assemblies, a 12" piece of water pipe and a rusty 9/16" socket) to seat the pistons in the bottom of their bores.
F150Brakes020.jpg

Off comes the caliper, followed by removing the pads from the caliper. The back calipers hold the pads in the same manner as Granada (and most late-70's-model) calipers; one "slips" over the outer edge of the caliper, the other is spring-fit into the piston. It's definitely not as easy as the newer calipers; back to "the old way" :rolleyes:
F150Brakes023.jpg

" :damnit: The piston is still sticking out too much! Get me that clamp!" No, that's not (that snot?) a shiny booger! I had hung the "caliper hanger tool" up there to hold the caliper while I wiped the rotor with some 400-grit to break the glaze on the otherwise okay rotor.
F150Brakes024.jpg

Three down, one to go! Oh yeah, look up and to the left of Matt's head. Dinkin' around with the pads/caliper; I ended up knocking about 5 lbs of dried "Rodeo mud" off the end of the exhaust pipe. This ain't no street truck! :D

Attachments

• F150Brakes020.jpg
    F150Brakes020.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 112
  • F150Brakes023.jpg
    F150Brakes023.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 108
  • F150Brakes024.jpg
    F150Brakes024.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 100
And finally......

(Long-time Phoenix guys might notice that I stole the title of this particular post from Ray Thompson; long-time news anchor at KTAR - TV12. My folks used to watch his newscasts every night on cable)

Last wheel, not much camera time:
F150Brakes026.jpg

Jessie pulling the caliper mount bolts. Matt was holing the camera sideways when he took this pic; so if you just turn your monitor on its side..... :lol:
F150Brakes027.jpg

This is why I didn't spend a bunch of effort sanding on the glazed back rotors. "Brake-In Coating" is apparently lapping compound that EBC paints on their Green Stuff pads and bakes dry. It's supposed to cut the glaze and surface-prep the rotors as it wears off in 10-15 miles. I'll get to that....
View attachment 399351
And it's done!!! :banana: Put the wheels back on, get Larry off that jackstands; and test-drive time!
As for the "Brake-In Coating": When we went for our test-drive; I ran up to about 60MPH on a farm road (fairly new pavement) west of our neighborhood, and jammed on the brakes. Short skid while the 4WABS went "Whaa-aa-aa-attt???" then it kicked in and we came to a easy stop.

All in all; I'm happy :D

Attachments

• F150Brakes028.jpg
    F150Brakes028.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 108
  • F150Brakes027.jpg
    F150Brakes027.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 115
StangDreamin' said:
F150Brakes023.jpg

" :damnit: The piston is still sticking out too much! Get me that clamp!" No, that's not (that snot?) a shiny booger! :D

Thanks for the clarification, I thought shooting your mug had cracked the camera lense!:lol:
BTW....I see your kids get their good looks from Sue!:nice:

StangDreamin' said:
I ended up knocking about 5 lbs of dried "Rodeo mud" off the end of the exhaust pipe. This ain't no street truck! :D
You know, if you package that stuff up you could probably sell it for $1000./oz. on "Rodeo Drive" as "GENUINE Rodeo Facial Beauty Mud"...!!!
Hear tell you can sell anything in Beverly Hills, it's all in the packaging!:hail2:

BTW.....I want a modest 10% of the profits for giving you the idea!:nice:

Attachments

• F150Brakes023.jpg
    F150Brakes023.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 92
BTW....I see your kids get their good looks from Sue!:nice:
Yup; that's no lie!
You know, if you package that stuff up you could probably sell it for $1000./oz. on "Rodeo Drive" as "GENUINE Rodeo Facial Beauty Mud"...!!!
Hear tell you can sell anything in Beverly Hills, it's all in the packaging!:hail2:
Hmmmmm.... you have a point. Let's see; "Contains naturally processed prarie grasses and grains; by-products of whole cow's milk and equine milk. No animals were harmed in the manufacture of this product; plant and animal extracts were collected in a manner beneficial to the health of animals."

Yeah, I can see that. Nobody in Beverly Hills would figure out that we just told 'em that we were selling mud heavily laced with cow- and horse-crap; which we had to clean up so it would not contaminate their feed! :rlaugh:

BTW.....I want a modest 10% of the profits for giving you the idea!:nice:
Yeah, well - you need to work a little bit on this project, too! I'm gonna be heading out to the stables here in an hour or so - borrow Angel's pressure- washer to blow all the mud out of the fenderwells, bumpers, trailer-hitch, nerf-bars, etc. So put on your grungy clothes and get ready to pick up some mud! :D