Sound Processor

MustangIIMatt

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 7, 2002
@LaserSVT

I've decided I've had enough with the meth-heads and crack-heads trying to break into my truck for a $200 Pioneer DVD player, so I'm going to put the stock stereo back in and put a $25 rear-view mirror with screen from Amazon in for my backup camera.

I have the Hertz ET-20 tweeters in the pillars, the Infinity Reference 8602cfx speakers in all four doors, and the 400w amp and 12" Pioneer sub under the back seat.

I want to keep all of that (especially since the factory tweeters were thrown in the trash when the Pioneer head unit blew them out and I replaced them with the Hertz), and from what I'm reading, I'll need some kind of sound processor to get decent sound from them when I put the stock stereo back.

What should I be looking for, and how should I hook it up?

• Sponsors (?)

You will need a DSP. You can achieve amazing sound quality from a stock deck with a good DSP. Thing is to really take advantage of it you should run active (one amplifier channel per speaker) so you can make full use of its time alignment and EQ plus crossover functions. Budget dictates all but I like the Mosconi DSPs best. Alpine also makes a killer one but it has a DIN size face you have to hide somewhere to control it where as the Mosconi has a small control center thats easy to hide. You can also look at the JBL MS8 as its a powerful unit and you set it with a laptop then leave it alone.
You can find any of those units for under $500 (and sometimes under $200) used on DIYMA.

Saw a Mosconi 120.4 dsp on there for a good price, but that guy hasn't returned my PM. Did pull the trigger on a 4-channel Soundstream amp for the II though!