Sounds too good to be true

Rusty66coupe

Sep 9, 2008
Wondering about this one.

Came across a guy that has a 302 with some goodies on it such as Holley 650 that he claims has less than 20k miles on it.

He is looking to sell it complete for $500.

Said he is upgrading to a stroker and doesn't need his old block.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that if it sounds to good to be true....anyone else think this might be :bs: ?

• Sponsors (?)

If its just stock internals, then I think the deal is fine. Thats about what you would find around here. In fact, there is a completely rebuilt roller motor (0 miles) on the local craigslist (des moines, ia) for $650. That sounds like a deal to me.

Maybe later today I will show you how a camshaft from such "20,000 mile driving truck" 302 may look like.

Unless you cannot tear it apart, or given a warranty, assume it is a core for rebuild.

Maybe later today I will show you how a camshaft from such "20,000 mile driving truck" 302 may look like.

Unless you cannot tear it apart, or given a warranty, assume it is a core for rebuild.

That was sort of my working assumption to be honest and for the same money there is a local guy that has a bare 302 roller block that is completely machined already, bored .30 over, etc. that basically just needs someone to put it on a stand and start building.

I also spoke with a guy the other day that has a C4 for about $400 that is in a car he wrecked. According to him, it was in good shape and reasonable low miles prior to the wreck and you likely could bolt and go with that one....assuming of course his story is true.

Can't afford to do both engine and drive train at the same time so I was thinking it might be better to start working on my transmission, etc now with the idea of improving it to handle a better / built engine down the road.

:hail2: Words of wisdom! :nice:

X2. at least pull the intake to get an idea of what the cam looks like condition wise. pulling the oil pan and teh number one main bearing cap and a random roed cap will give you an idea of what the internal condition is like.

I guess this would put things in perspective.

Found an ad today for a '88 or so 5.0 roller block out of a Mustang that still has the factory standard bore for about $80.

That might be worth the money to have it bored .30 over and then put it on a stand to start building it as time / parts money allows to buy things such as heads, new intake, cam, etc, etc.

its true, deals are out there. I have $30 in my block right now as I have sold some of the stock parts to regain some of the expense. It will soon be free once the injectors are gone.

About 6 months ago I picked up a 302 that was sitting covered in some guys yard for 75 Dollars. It needed to be rebuilt but it had everything with it. Heads/Intake/Carb/Starter/Flexplate/Pan. After I sold everything I didn't want off of it I ended up +$70.

More recently I picked up a rebuilt short block 351w that I plan on putting in a foxbody for $200. Sold the rods, pistons and crank for a hundred dollars and got a 30 over, boiled block for $100. Not too shabby for living in California.