Source for "lip" spoiler for a notch?

Darkwriter77

Resident Ranting Negative Nancy
5 Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Apache Junction, AZ
Trying to think of alternatives to rigging up my own "lip" or "ducktail" type spoiler on the notch. (Something similar in design to the new Shelby GT500's, sorta NASCAR-ish.) Something subtle, cheap, and light, so it doesn't weigh the trunk down so much that it doesn't stay open.

Only thing I can think of right off hand would be one of the older ('79 to around '83) hatchback spoilers, although I'm not sure how the angles would work on the slightly curved edge of a notch trunk. Other things I've considered were hunting the local boneyards for, say, a Monte Carlo SS or Olds Achieva SC spoiler, which looks pretty much the same, but I figure they'd weigh a bit more. (It's not track weight I'm worried about so much with it as it is winding up having to use a prop rod to hold open the trunk. That's just friggin' annoying.)

Just trying to think of some weird stuff to fiddle with on the body that's not too drastic. Also been considering making my own smooth cowl panel - thinking of just a sheet of aluminum with the edges rolled and a rolled-edge hole for the wiper mount. I mean, being without A/C or a heater, it's not like I really need the air inlet there, really. (Unless, of course, someone has come up with a workable way to cut a hole in the firewall and reverse the intake elbow to suck air from the cowl area, instead - cool air AND a low-pressure source! :D )

Any other oddball ideas are welcomed. The way I see it, this quarter-million-mile horse has absolutely no future as a look-pretty car, so anything I can do to just make it look sort of Mad Max-ish - dirty, plain, subtle, and mean - is pretty much all I hope to aim to do.

• Sponsors (?)

Good luck with that, I've always wanted something like that as well. People suggest the asc spoiler to me but I can't stand that thing. I've also thought about modding a Monte spoiler, or trying to copy this Griggs spoiler that they made for a short time (only I don't like how it's mounted to the decklid):
spoiler.jpg

Good luck with that, I've always wanted something like that as well. People suggest the asc spoiler to me but I can't stand that thing. I've also thought about modding a Monte spoiler, or trying to copy this Griggs spoiler that they made for a short time (only I don't like how it's mounted to the decklid):
spoiler.jpg

Anymore pics of that? Is there a way to get one anymore?

That's the only pic I have, I saved it from the Corral. The owner goes by Brutal04 there. He's posted other pics there in different posts. The spoiler was discontinued a while ago, and I've heard they didn't make very many when they were selling them. They may be pretty hard to find.

That's exactly the kind of spoiler I'm talking about! Nicely subtle, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb (as opposed to the huge Saleen whale tail or other such nonsense). I would look for a Grand National spoiler, but any little piece of anything off of those cars is highly sought after because they're like gold to the GM folks. Probably better off looking for a Monte Carlo SS spoiler, since it's essentially the exact same car.

WING-ING-ING-ING-ING!!!

7marcdetkalarge.jpg

6marcdetkalarge.jpg

Really, this is pretty ghey looking but, it is a racecar....if you can run faster on a road course without it, i'd like to see it :D

By the way, most that you see like this (smaller though) are just home made...so if you want one that's really low key and simple, you might have to go that route.

Attachments

• 7marcdetkalarge.jpg
    7marcdetkalarge.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 674
  • 6marcdetkalarge.jpg
    6marcdetkalarge.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,095
I really like that first wing alot on that blue car. I have a silver notch that I was thinking of getting someone to customize a 03/04 cobra wing for. I dont like anything very big though because I like the body lines of the notch. Something that just goes off the body a bit. I also have thought about a front spoiler on the front of the notch like an old boss style would look good.

As far as your smooth cowl mustangcowl.com makes one that is called the Venom2 that is a fiberglass and has a hole for the wiper like you said. I'm waiting on pics from a guy in my cowl thread that will have pics soon he says.

I wonder how the spoiler on that blue notch is held on? I don't see anything above or below it for a mounting base of any sort - it almost looks like it's somehow molded onto the trunk, itself, like it's welded or otherwise fused.

As far as making my own, the only thing is that I could only accomplish that by getting my hands on a gigantic metal brake that could neatly put a 45* bend in a sheet of aluminum or sheetmetal that size. So basically, at that point, I'm going to wind up paying a machine shop or someone along those lines some bucks to fabricate one for me. Kinda takes away from the cool factor of being able to say I did it all, myself, but oh well... :)

I've seen those fiberglass cowls. I've given them some thought, but I don't think I can justify spending $75 on a flat panel with a hole in it that I can probably make just as easily and far more cheaply on my own. Just gotta get a little creative with some tin snips, pliers, and the Dremel... :D

If you look closely at the first pic you can see that it's just one piece bent at an angle (could be two pieces welded together, not sure). You can see the hole around the trunk lock and the rivets/screws holding it on to the edge of the trunk lid. That's the only thing I don't like about it, but if I found one I could live with it.:D

bditty50 is right on the screen name, I came up with the guy that owns the wheels.

I tried making one by bending a 45* piece of aluminum in a brake, that won't work because of the compound curve of the trunk lid. The best way would be to form it in a press brake (which I have access to at work, but it would cost a buttload of money to get material to make the dies out of) I think I'm going to try to cut two pieces and TIG them together.