South Side Machine Lift Bar Install...*Need Help Quick!!

Hugger1974

Jan 31, 2004
Ok, well just started the install a set of South Side Machine Bars (SSM) on my buddys 91 Gt....well we got the lift bar and the brackets installed. However the install instructiosn are very confusing :shrug:
It says about setting the pinion angle, which is somewhat understandable, but it explains about using a 1/4" pin to do this. There is no 1/4" pin or hole in brackets like the instructions say and the diagram show, are they suppose to be like this or did I get a defected set? We have sat here for a hour trying to figure it out...

Are we just this stupid or are they a pain in the butt to put in :(
Please anyone who has installed these put a post up or PICS would be great :D
We are at a stand still....just need to figure out where the dang 1/4" pin went to...If I am just stupid let me know, no hard feelings, just want to get this install done lol.

Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

Actually me and a friend were just installing a pair on a 89 notch and ran into the same problem, don't worry about the pin, you don't need it, just install the bars, let the car down with the full weight on it and then drill the 7/16 hole on the inside of each bracket all the way through the control arm bracket and install the short 7/16 bolt. I've did this on two fox cars and the bars worked great!! Good luck drilling!!!

Bad Animal said:
Actually me and a friend were just installing a pair on a 89 notch and ran into the same problem, don't worry about the pin, you don't need it, just install the bars, let the car down with the full weight on it and then drill the 7/16 hole on the inside of each bracket all the way through the control arm bracket and install the short 7/16 bolt. I've did this on two fox cars and the bars worked great!! Good luck drilling!!!

Bad Animal- Thanks for the info! That is what we were going to do, my buddy said he also heard of that, but we didnt want to take a chance. I read throught stangnet and founnd one guy that said this...

"I got some lift bars from south side machine, kinda of a bitch to put in since you gotta drill rear end and get the right driveline angle. I have NO wheel hop and i can drive when its raining out."

So after reading that, I thought you must have to adjust the pinion angle. When you drilled the 7/16" hole...did you just drill it anywhere...or actually check the angle and set it?? I assumed you just loaded suspension and drill wherever.

How did you drill under the car with the suspension loaded?? We got sportlines on....and well you could imagine.

Thanks again!!

the car in question is mine.....now we need to know how in the world can we drill the holes with me haveing eibach sportlines, it is freakin low and there is no way to crawl under it unless u had a pit or something. I assume that just jacking the rear of the car up under the axle center will not be correct?

when i installed mine, i lifted the back end up and put it on jacks. i just made sure i had my little plates in the spot i wanted them to be and i drilled and drilled...took me a long time per hole! i would recommend drilling it almost where they say to drill it in the picture. i havent had any problems doing it this way.
if u drive your car without those bolts, your rear end will sway alot and squat and it feels wacky as hell!
i dont think the pinion angle stuff shouldnt be worried about until you get adjustable upper control arms. also it helps a ton if you have an adjustable pinion snubber with those lift bars.

well I need a shorter pinion snubber cause my springs, just never put it in. SOOOOO....we can just jack the car up and put stands under the rear end and then drill the holes where it says, I think it says something like 3/4" downa nd 1/2" in or something around about that.

To adjust the pinion angle,The suspension must be loaded just like it is sitting on the ground. Meaning it has to be up in the air on jack stands INCLUDING the front also. Put the jack stands on the rear axle housing tubes,then jack up the front untill the car is sitting level. Put some cement blocks with 2x4,s on top of them under the front tires and lower the front end. If the car is not level you will not get good readings on your pinion angle. If necessary shim the blocks with more 2x4's to make it level. Then check your pinion angle and set it between 3-6 degrees down. Once the angle is set you can now drill the holes. It is Important to set the angle correctly. If it is not set right you will get alot of vibratons in the rear of the car and could WIPE OUT u-joints, pinion bearings,Tranny bearings and anything in the drivetrain.The best way to adjust these is using a drive on lift.It is also the SAFEST. I myself was not too keen on using cement blocks with 2x4's But it was the only way I could load my front suspension properly. I tried putting jack stands under the lower control arms but the front suspension would not let the body drop down over the tires like when it is sitting on the ground. Be extremely carefull and PAY ATTENSION!

ok lets get back to the drilling of the 7/16" hole. These brackets that drop the arm down a little will be welded in place for sure. But how do we drill the hole. Someone just told me Im going to have to pull the axle out to drill the hole. I know it will take a good while to drill it cause its heavy material, but will I have to pull the axle out? Cant I start from the inside and drill tne etire way through the other side, how the heck did you guys do this? :shrug:

retro50 said:
To adjust the pinion angle,The suspension must be loaded just like it is sitting on the ground. Meaning it has to be up in the air on jack stands INCLUDING the front also. Put the jack stands on the rear axle housing tubes,then jack up the front untill the car is sitting level. Put some cement blocks with 2x4,s on top of them under the front tires and lower the front end. If the car is not level you will not get good readings on your pinion angle. If necessary shim the blocks with more 2x4's to make it level. Then check your pinion angle and set it between 3-6 degrees down. Once the angle is set you can now drill the holes. It is Important to set the angle correctly. If it is not set right you will get alot of vibratons in the rear of the car and could WIPE OUT u-joints, pinion bearings,Tranny bearings and anything in the drivetrain.The best way to adjust these is using a drive on lift.It is also the SAFEST. I myself was not too keen on using cement blocks with 2x4's But it was the only way I could load my front suspension properly. I tried putting jack stands under the lower control arms but the front suspension would not let the body drop down over the tires like when it is sitting on the ground. Be extremely carefull and PAY ATTENSION!

retro50- Did you use a protractor to measure the pinion angle? When the cars suspension was fully loaded and you checked the angle, if it was off how did you adjust it? I assume if you jacked the rear end up very slightly or lowered it, it would change the pinion angle?

This is new to me and I want to do it right. Thanks again for the info!

no need to pull the axles to drill the holes, drill from the inside, use a good bit and make sure it is straight. I load the suspension on cinder blocks, always works well ( I out jack stands under for saftey just incase something happens)

SSM take a little bit to install, if they have the pin cut it off and weld the plates in or you will break the bolts and pin off, been there, done that.

You need a anlge finder to adjust pinion angle, magnetic works well for the housing but it will not stick to a alum DS. Sears, McMastercarr, MSC, Lowes etc all carry these.

Read www.baselinesuspensions.com for a proper way to set load and pinion angle...

Blownstang - I don't think the snubber will be that big of an issue since the SSM are going to make the rear lift when you launch, hence the nick name "Lift Bars"

Have Fun ;)

Thing I don't get...is the Lift Bars are BRAND new, Never Installed or used and there was no pin. I guess that is where we got confused the most? Everone says about the pin being ground off, but there new, no pin, no hole.

We could only look at the brackets so many times hoping the pin would appear, like we were missing it :stupid:

But anyways, I assume maybe SSM stop using the pin for some reason but left it in there install instructions? :shrug: I really dont see where you would need it, after reading the post should be easy with no pin.

Rick 91GT said:
no need to pull the axles to drill the holes, drill from the inside, use a good bit and make sure it is straight. I load the suspension on cinder blocks, always works well ( I out jack stands under for saftey just incase something happens)

SSM take a little bit to install, if they have the pin cut it off and weld the plates in or you will break the bolts and pin off, been there, done that.

You need a anlge finder to adjust pinion angle, magnetic works well for the housing but it will not stick to a alum DS. Sears, McMastercarr, MSC, Lowes etc all carry these.

Read www.baselinesuspensions.com for a proper way to set load and pinion angle...

Blownstang - I don't think the snubber will be that big of an issue since the SSM are going to make the rear lift when you launch, hence the nick name "Lift Bars"

Have Fun ;)

thanx for all the help rick, that solves alot of problems, we just need a pinion angle checker mabobr and drill some nice good holes. Thax