spark plug gap for headswapped cars

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
Pasadena, MD
i heard in another thread that a smaller gap size, like .40ish, would make more power. supposably another guy in the thread confirmed it but i want to make sure. would i make more power with a smaller gap with my higher compression?

• Sponsors (?)

well i played with this theroy since i had a problem with a cyl misfire. i went from the stock .50 something gap to a .40. i felt a real noticable gain. i recommend it.

the misfie actually came from a cracked plug wire

Mine will be set at .40 when I fire it up tomorrow. I did this with a set of autolites prior to this it is possible I felt a gain, but I wasn't looking for one. . .just trying to keep the plugs from fouling.

I had done some research on this when I did my headswap. Found a few threads on here saying .40 is the way to go. But checking over MD, the general consensus is to leave it at .54 I don't know of anyone doing any dyno test with the different gaps.
As to wether to go with copper or platnum, rumour has it, copper is the way to go.

I have mine gapped at .35 but I have a blower. I've heard from many people that .40 is the way to go on swapped heads. Stick with copper plugs. The platinum may hive you detonation problems. I'm running Motor craft 12c's which are 2 heat ranges cooler.

CanadaStang said:
Yup!! I think thats what you should do. Yup, most definitly. And then, eh hmm, if it's no trouble, could ya let me know how she runs. :D

just do it!!!!!!! :D

no seriously, it's worth it, after i had mine done, well after the entire headswap i can easly light up the tires and im in an auto. but after the gap... bigger improvment :nice:

tomustang said:

no seriously, it's worth it, after i had mine done, well after the entire headswap i can easly light up the tires and im in an auto. but after the gap... bigger improvment :nice:
Thats good to know, I really like free HP :D Rats, I wish it wasn't so friggen cold here or I'd head to the track tonorrow and do some testing.

What did you gap the plugs at after the headswap, and what plugs are you using?

tomustang said: