Spark Plug pics

jeffnoel

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2002
Clovis, CA
I just replaced the plugs on my 02 GT. The engine is stock with 83,690 miles on it. I replaced the stock plugs with some Autolite 764s that I bought like a year ago and just never got around to changing them until now. New plugs are gapped at .054 old plugs came out at about .060+ on average.

Just looking for some opinions on how the old plugs look and if anybody sees a possible problem. I bought the car used with about 17K on it so these are most likely the factory plugs.

100_1510.jpg

Thanks, -Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

7 looks the worst, but not that bad for how many miles were in. Overly black means either mixture is too rich or fuel is being unburnt - being as tho they were at .60 it's proly an accumulation of not burning all the fuel and being in for 5 years. Why'd you wait to change them out for so long?

Number three looks like the combustion chamber gases were trying to burn past the plug. It looks like it was getting close to being a serious problem by the looks of the severly burned and melted shoulder.

Your car has got to be running a lot better now :nice:

The car has been running fine getting about 15mpg city and 22-23mpg hwy.

None of them felt any looser than the other. I just kept putting it off because it was running fine. Like I said I got the plugs a year or so ago and just never got around to it. It's my wife's DD so we'll see if she notices anything.

The only issue we've noticed lately is when the A/C is on the idle jumps around but only when the A/C is on so I'm gonna take it in and get it recharged soon. It's already starting to get into the 90s here so I can't put it off as my wife will kill me if the A/C craps on her.

-Jeff

The car has been running fine getting about 15mpg city and 22-23mpg hwy.

None of them felt any looser than the other. I just kept putting it off because it was running fine. Like I said I got the plugs a year or so ago and just never got around to it. It's my wife's DD so we'll see if she notices anything.

The only issue we've noticed lately is when the A/C is on the idle jumps around but only when the A/C is on so I'm gonna take it in and get it recharged soon. It's already starting to get into the 90s here so I can't put it off as my wife will kill me if the A/C craps on her.

-Jeff

Jeff I had the same AC problem with my stang. I replaced the cycling switch (cost me $20 online from http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214290) and she blows ice cold now. To see if it's the switch, jump it with a paper clip (take the clip and connect both ends to the two metal prongs inside the cycle switch). If your AC compression stops cycling on and off, your problem is solved. Be careful though, you don't want to short the switch for more than a minute.

As for the plugs, they look normal for the amount of miles they have on them. Be sure to torque your new plugs down to 13 lbs, so they don't back out of the head! Hope this helps.

Tanner

the98stang, were is that switch located?

My A/C still blows plenty cold I've just seen some stuff about a bouncy idle being caused by a low charge?

The switch is located on the passenger side firewall, way in the corner. Low freon would cause the idle to jump around, but your air would NOT blow cold. Your AC unit is cycling on and off because of the switch, causing the crazy idle. My car was doing the same thing. I put in the new switch, and now the idle doesn't go crazy with the AC on. She blows ice cold.