Spark plug shot out of the head tonight

Was home after a nice calm cruise (never went above 3,000RPM), and I hear a loud pop as I'm coming to a stop and my idle became rough. I knew it was bad. I get home and pop the hood while the car was on and noticed one of the coilpacks was shaking violently along with the horrible knocking noise it was making. I shut the motor off, and I pulled off the coilpack, followed by the sparkplug. This is what I saw:

allbad.jpg

allbad2.jpg

The sparkplug shot out and tore the coilpack boot... The threads don't look too warped so I'm hoping the threads in the head are fine... However, I'm taking it to Ford tomorrow as the motor is still under the 3 year warranty (had a new motor installed in Spring '08, only has 29k miles on it now), so whatever happened should be covered. I hope there is no serious damage to the head... I don't want to be without my car for a long time again. It's too bad this happened, especially on a new engine. I think I just have bad luck with this car... I was all excited to take her for a cruise tonight. :( Hopefully it'll all work out fine.

Other things to note:

-They are Motorcraft double platinum sparkplugs that I installed myself almost a year ago and torqued down properly to spec
-This happened on my way home from Ford after having my oil, trans fluid, and rear diff fluid changed (I'm not at all insinuating that they somehow sabotaged my car, which I know is not the case. The coincidence was just kinda funny)

Anyways, just thought I'd vent a bit. Has this happened to any of you guys?

• Sponsors (?)

threads are gone in the head no doubt about it. but can be fixed easily so u dont need a new head. i had mine do that to me last january under the same conditions. apparently you have a windsor block. but just get a timesert kit or something like that and it will be fine. im against helicoils in the head though as they can create a hot spot.

posted via mobile device i had a plug blowout last year that destroyed the plug boot and shot the plug out f the head..ill post pics of the damage when i get home...anyway, i somehow was lucky enough that it never damaged the threads for the plug...ive changed plugs twice since then and never had a problem...so maybe youll get lucky like me :shrug:

Was home after a nice calm cruise (never went above 3,000RPM), and I hear a loud pop as I'm coming to a stop and my idle became rough. I knew it was bad. I get home and pop the hood while the car was on and noticed one of the coilpacks was shaking violently along with the horrible knocking noise it was making. I shut the motor off, and I pulled off the coilpack, followed by the sparkplug. This is what I saw:

allbad.jpg

allbad2.jpg

The sparkplug shot out and tore the coilpack boot... The threads don't look too warped so I'm hoping the threads in the head are fine... However, I'm taking it to Ford tomorrow as the motor is still under the 3 year warranty (had a new motor installed in Spring '08, only has 29k miles on it now), so whatever happened should be covered. I hope there is no serious damage to the head... I don't want to be without my car for a long time again. It's too bad this happened, especially on a new engine. I think I just have bad luck with this car... I was all excited to take her for a cruise tonight. :( Hopefully it'll all work out fine.

Other things to note:

-They are Motorcraft double platinum sparkplugs that I installed myself almost a year ago and torqued down properly to spec
-This happened on my way home from Ford after having my oil, trans fluid, and rear diff fluid changed (I'm not at all insinuating that they somehow sabotaged my car, which I know is not the case. The coincidence was just kinda funny)

Anyways, just thought I'd vent a bit. Has this happened to any of you guys?

Do you think a five year old (at the newest) car is under a factory warranty?

Reading is essential:D

Hope they don't give you some runaround because you installed the plugs yourself.

Best of luck with it, that sucks. Almost EVERY time I am on the gas I worry about hearing "BOOM!" sputter sputter sputter.

Hey guys, little update: Just got off the phone with my service advisor, and he said the head is being replaced under warranty, just as most of you predicted. Can't wait to get her back, running nice and strong. :)

Anyways, what exactly causes this sparkplug problem with some of Ford's V8s? Not enough threads in the head? Predetonation? Combination of the two? Just curious.

Lack of threads in the casting for the heads. Especially an issue with the Windsor PI heads. But Ford recognized this issue in the heads and eventually put fully threaded heads in the Econolines and F150 trucks I believe..i had to have mine replaced back in August in my '99 Windsor motor so I know what thats like..

Hey guys, little update: Just got off the phone with my service advisor, and he said the head is being replaced under warranty, just as most of you predicted. Can't wait to get her back, running nice and strong. :)

Anyways, what exactly causes this sparkplug problem with some of Ford's V8s? Not enough threads in the head? Predetonation? Combination of the two? Just curious.

tell em to put romeo heads on instead..