Spark plugs, self change or Ford change?

merc123

Jan 27, 2003
North GA
I've got about 109k miles on my '03 GT. Haven't changed the plugs but it probably wouldn't be a bad deal. I've been aware of the plug issue which is why I've been hesitant to change them myself all this time.

I'm contemplating taking it to a local dealer in the event that the plug blows out that they would be liable for the damage and replace or repair it.

Whatcha think?

• Sponsors (?)

I had my plugs changed when I blew one out by a local mechanic. The cost of swapping the plugs alone (aside from cost of repairing blown plug) was $40. My local Ford dealer wanted $260.

NEVER have a dealer do any non-warranty work on a car.

this is something you should do on your own. i went to midas and asked them what it would cost, they come back to me with "wait and let us see what the computer says" ... okay so they tell me it will take 2 hours to complete and like $200 to do.. say what?? told them to ***** off and i went and did it myself. took maybe 40 min and i felt much more satisfied.

I did mine just the other weekend on my 00 Gt with 80k and it wasn't bad at all. Just be careful and take your time. I recommend getting the motocraft plugs but thats just my opinion. Took maybe an hour at most.

I've got about 109k miles on my '03 GT. Haven't changed the plugs but it probably wouldn't be a bad deal. I've been aware of the plug issue which is why I've been hesitant to change them myself all this time.

I'm contemplating taking it to a local dealer in the event that the plug blows out that they would be liable for the damage and replace or repair it.

Whatcha think?

I would do what I did, if you can afford it. Ford only put 4-5 threads on the stock heads for our Mustangs. That is not enough, they tend to blow out, causing damage to the head. I had all 8 cylinders reamed out with " Timecerts " or " Helicoils ". Now I have 8-10 threads, and no more blown out plugs. This happens more ofen on Blown motors than N/A, but it still happens to then a lot, too.

I've had 3 of them blow out and have had to helicoil them also. If you have the dealer do them and they blow out, they will just helicoil it anyway. I suggest you do it and follow the torque recommendations.

I changed mine on my 1997 GT and 1995 GT.
1st time ever changing any sparkplugs/wires on my (any car) 1997GT was super easy.

1st time ever changing plugs on a 5.0 mustang.. super easy, but only a bitch because of my equal length headers.

Verdict: Do it your self. Its easy and you have COPS i think.. so its thats easy!

Issue with the threads on the stock 2V block. Plug blowout is common, its happened to me once......so far.
If it was "common," you'd think it would happen to you more than once. And few people would claim to have never heard of it. It's not like Ford didn't sell craploads of these cars every year for 15 years.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying "has been known to happen," and "common" are not the same thing. Use the Ford recommended plug with more threads than the original and torque to spec, and you'll probably be fine. I've not heard of anyone who had a problem who replaced the plugs with the recommended replacement.

If it was "common," you'd think it would happen to you more than once. And few people would claim to have never heard of it. It's not like Ford didn't sell craploads of these cars every year for 15 years.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying "has been known to happen," and "common" are not the same thing. Use the Ford recommended plug with more threads than the original and torque to spec, and you'll probably be fine. I've not heard of anyone who had a problem who replaced the plugs with the recommended replacement.

I had to chuckle at this post just a little. If it weren't a common problem then these heads would not be used as the example :rlaugh:

http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html

Juss' Sayin' :shrug:

Whatcha think?

I just brush a bit of "anti-seize lubricant" on the threads of the new plugs. Then, I carefully torque the new plugs to around 13 ft/lbs. Oh, yeah, I check the gaps on the new ones. BTW, I've changed plugs a few times on this car, and have never seen a "sketchy" one. Another benefit of fuel injection, I suppose.

Don't be scared to change them yourself. Just let the car sit over night and do it in the morning with a cup of coffee. I suspect that there is a certain percentage of blow out that can be chalked up to people forgetting to add anti-sieze. DONT forget it.

I just did the plugs on my 03 GT a couple days ago. First time changing plugs on any car, sort of took it on as a project, not only to save some money but satisfaction of doing it right. First plug change too 110K miles on it. Follow that bullitt link, I used it and found it excellent. Was interesting. I didn't use a torque wrench, just hand tightened then 1/16 a turn (you get a feel for it). The plugs came out no problem (bit of torque to get out). Plugs 7 and 8 are a bit tough (pass side near the firewall), until you realize that they are angled and insert your socket on an angle starting at the firewall....easily then works around the hoses there. Also, when we fired her up, it was running rough...discovered the coil boot on number 8 wasn't on right..once we put it on using the same angle, it was fine. You will not realize how much you needed the plugs...runs smooth as silk..so much more power. The old plugs had gaps like .07 - .08 probably from wear (052 - 056 is spec). Number 2 plug well had oil in it and around the boot - looks like the valve cover gasket was leaking into it (guess thats the next project). Make sure you have a locking extension. Plug puller/grabber made it easy to place the new plugs in and get the old ones out. If you want the a copy of the replacement directions out of the ford manual let me know can email.