Speaker Advice

mesc7

May 6, 2004
I'm looking at gutting my Mach 460 system on my '01 and wanted some advice from the experts. I'm currently looking at the Infinity Reference 6800cs component system that comes with 5x7s and tweeters. The tweeters are listed at only 1", so I'm wondering if I will have any problems mounting them in the current tweeter location in the door. Can anyone give me any recommendations on this? Also, any other speaker recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Justin

• Sponsors (?)

mesc7 said:
I'm looking at gutting my Mach 460 system on my '01 and wanted some advice from the experts. I'm currently looking at the Infinity Reference 6800cs component system that comes with 5x7s and tweeters. The tweeters are listed at only 1", so I'm wondering if I will have any problems mounting them in the current tweeter location in the door. Can anyone give me any recommendations on this? Also, any other speaker recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Justin

tweeters will fit no problem (it's close to a 2" hole) - you'll have to figure out some way to mount it (pipe-strap works well!).

As far as speaker selection goes, the only advice that I have is that you buy something that you've listened to...and listened to some more.

Take your CD case to your local audio dealer and spend as much time listening to YOUR selection of music that you can - Buy what sounds good to your ears.

dont get infinity reverence, there the lower end from what ive heard from people and from lisening to them. get the kappas...i got 3.5s, 6.5s and 5x7s of the kappas and there gr8!!!

By the way...

mesc7 said:

Justin

I bought a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's (their top of the line). I returned them after 1 week for the following reasons:

1) Utter lack of mid-bass response - even in sealed/deadened doors

2) Speakers would bottom out at medium volume (At or UNDER the rated RMS power) and impedance would drop to the point where my Alpine MRV-F540 would drop into protection mode - this was not a good thing -- and it was happening with BOTH mid-bass drivers. They didn't like a lot of power (and they were crossed at 100hz with a 18dB slope).

I finally bit the bullet, and talked the local shop out of a pair of Focal 165KP's - But they were double the $$ of the Infinity's - I took 'em home for $425.

Look strongly at the following (in increasing price) - Focal 165KP, 165K2P, and Utopia (expensivvve - but very very nice :)

I gutted my Mach460. Best thing I ever did.

Best of luck.