Speaker Measurements Inside

mike93lx

May 22, 2003
Hudson, MA
I just pulled my door panels and dash speaker covers (first time they were off in 14 years) and took some measurements for new speakers. I wanted to share the measurements for anyone that needed them later on.

DOOR:
Depth to window track - just a hair under 2 1/4"
opening diameter - 5.11"
stock speaker outside diameter - 6 3/16"
The stock speaker mounts with 3 screws, so plan to drill new ones for just about any speaker.
if you need more depth, it looks like you could probably get away with maybe a 1/8" spacer under the speaker without hitting the stock grill, but i doubt a 1/4 would clear.
DSC00573Small.jpg

DSC00575Small.jpg

DSC00576Small.jpg

DSC00577Small.jpg

DASH:
Depth to vent tube - 1 1/8"
Opening diameter - 3 1/2"
stock speaker outside length - 4.75"
stock speaker width - 3 5/8"
The stock speaker mounts with 2 screws. You'll need to make a plate to mount up most 3.5" speakers or any tweeters.
DSC00572Small.jpg

I got bored and made up this template for a plate to replace the stock dash speaker. The holes line up perfectly with the stock speaker and you could even reuse the stock screws if you drill the holes to the correct diameter (use what i put on here for sizing)
The center hole is 1.33" diameter and is perfectly centered. It is sized for the tweeter that I am installing. Adjust it accordingly for your needs.
View attachment 350712

REAR (coupe):
appear to be bottom mounted, so any 5x7/6x8 should work and a 6x9 should be able to be mounted without a problem. Also, any speaker that is smaller would work as well with an adaptor plate (6.5", 5.25" etc).
I won't be removing the stock rears until winter, but when I do, I'll add any pertinent dimensions at that point

Attachments

• DSC00573Small.jpg
    DSC00573Small.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00575Small.jpg
    DSC00575Small.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00576Small.jpg
    DSC00576Small.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00577Small.jpg
    DSC00577Small.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00572Small.jpg
    DSC00572Small.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Sponsors (?)

Some pics would be great if you could manage them. I have an 86 and no door speakers. Otherwise, I might be able to help with that.

If we could get ALL of the speaker mount mesurements with pics in this thread; I'll add it to the Usefeul Technical Thread Index.

Good stuff to know! :nice:

i put some infinity kapa speakers in my dash an being only 3.5" they didn't do much. I'm going to put some door speakers in too, i was thinking you could get some sort of spacer ring to get some extra depth. any one every seen those for sale anywhere?

the problem is that the stock grill sits so close to the speaker, you won't be able to add any significant depth. My stock speaker was actually rubbing on the grill at the adge towards the bottom. I doubt you could add anything more than 1/8 of an inch without doing a custom grill.

what are you looking for? midbass? loudness? basic speakers, regardless of size, will not give you any significant midbass, and will often have less midbass than stock. however, you do gain significant clarity and upper range.

I have heard that Polk's MM6500 component set drops right into the door and I know that it is a good sounding set. you may want to consider that if you don't want to get into a custom speaker mount.

pjb, thanks for adding that. the 5x7 and 6x8 size is interchangeable. depending on the manufacturer, they will pick one over the other, but they are one in the same.

are they bottom mount or did you have to remove the trim on the package shelf to get to them?

i have 2 new sets of 6x8 polk speakers i bought for my 03 ranger. i traded it in before installing them. wonder if i could attach them to the door an make a cover. my stock ones are missing from the doors. I have 84 doors if that matters.

I had to use a 1/4" MDF spacer to make my front door speakers fit, and no, they won't clear the stock grilles. I'd love to see what other people have used as far as aftermarket speaker grilles. I've been trying to find a set that will work and will look decent.

FYI I also had to trim a little metal (like 1/8" all the way around) from the opening in the door to get my MB Quarts to fit. Even with the spacer they were little too wide to clear.

pjb, thanks for adding that. the 5x7 and 6x8 size is interchangeable. depending on the manufacturer, they will pick one over the other, but they are one in the same.

are they bottom mount or did you have to remove the trim on the package shelf to get to them?

I didnt have to change anything. Theyre Pioneer's and they say right on the box that theyre a direct replacement for Ford cars with 5x7's.

pjb, sorry, i meant how do they mount to the package shelf, from below or do they drop in from the top? this was in a coupe, right?

lang, you will have to trim some metal, but if your polks are shallow enough (unfortunately, I doubt they are), you should be able to make it work.
if you are good with wood working, you could remake the stock grill with thicker material, like 3/4" mdf, to to give mroe clearance behind.

depending on what speakers I choose for the front, I'll be sure to post up any changes that I make. All I know is that I want it as stock looking as possible.

hayn, what model MB Quarts did you use so any future readers know what to work with.

Thanks!

in my lx i went with rockford all around. the dash has 3.5's the rear i replaced diretcly with 6x8 the fronts we had some issues mounting it had to make a thin wood spacer behind the door panel so the grill wouldnt hit... i believe 3/8 thick just made a hole in the wood large enough to go around the speaker mounted the speaker mounted the wood wround it and that was it.. cant notice that something is behind the door panel