Speaker Wire Connected To Headlight Wire Loom?

Gixx06

Nov 13, 2012
Hey guys, just bought my first foxbody recently a 1993 lx 5.0. The headlights are yellowed and dull so while replacing them I noticed that speaker wire is spliced into the wire loom. Is there a reasonable explanation for this? Best I can guess is there is an old viper alarm system and this is how they hooked it up. It got dark out otherwise I would have attempted to trace the wire back and snap pictures. I'll get some when it's light out.

Any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I traced it from the passenger turn signal to the bottom of the front bumper. It connects to a black cylinder that has what appears to be clear plastic facing the road.

Sorry for being an idiot but what is this and can I just yank it out? I have been noticing that I have a drain in the battery and am trying to find it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 121
Welcome to the world of being a victim of the previous owner's efforts...

Typically it is something draining the battery. Small things like glove box or courtesy lights are often the culprits. If you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system, it is also suspect.

The ideal method is to disconnect the negative terminal, and connect a Digital Multimeter (DVM) between the negative terminal on the battery and the negative cable. Set the DVM on a low current scale of 2-5 amps if it doesn't auto range. Watch the current draw, and then start pulling out fuses. When you see a sudden drop in the current, that circuit is the likely culprit. Note that the computer, radio & clock will draw less than 1/10 amp to keep the settings alive.

See http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/automotive/beatbook.pdf. You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

If you can’t find the current drain by pulling fuses, then the alternator is suspect or any aftermarket sound or lighting equipment that may be on the car. Disconnect the alternator output power plug, then disconnect any aftermarket sound or lighting equipment while watching the current on the DVM.

Thanks for the info, looks like I have a busy weekend in store.

Any idea what those wires connected from the turn signal to the black cylinder with clear glass at the bottom of the front bumper is? I can try to get better pictures.