Spec Clutches? Tremec 5 Speed?

NosMe200

Aug 14, 2006
Worcester, MA
Has anyone used a Spec clutch and have any thoughts/opinions on them? These clutches have been the talk of the town lately and I see a lot of people running them but I've never personally driven a car with one. A couple of local performance shops recommended them to me. I'm going to pickup a Procharged 1996 Cobra this weekend and the car needs a clutch, so I am researching my options.

Also, the guy told me it has a Tremec 5 speed in it but said its not a 3550 or TKO. At one point he referred to it as a "Tremec T5" but I wasn't aware they made those. He did say that he saw the marking on the tranny that said Tremec. I'm not familiar with any other Tremec 5 speed transmissions available for a 96 Cobra. Does anyone have any input on this?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Stage 2 from Spec. No complaints here. I did the "drive it easy for 500 miles" break in and haven't had a problem.

I'm not sure, but I believe that Cobra has a Tremec T45 in. Only way it would have a T5 is if someone swapped one in.

I've used multiple spec clutches. I currently have a 2+ in my 03 mach. It has a little bit of chatter if you try to take off with low rpm. It is very grabby and reliable. My favorite clutch by far that I've ever used.

And tremec made the stock t45 that is in there. Someone could have swapped a tko 500/600 in there but you'll have to look and see.

I got a Stage 3+ Spec clutch. It works well after a very easy 500 mile break in. The clutch is super grabby and if you engage it in under 2000 rpm, the car becomes a bucking bronco. The clutch is very on or off, not a lot of room to ride it out. It works well for my purposes but I'm kind of curious about other more comfortable clutches.

Hopefully your Cobra has a T45 and not a T5. If someone did put a T5 in it, plan on changing that out soon. They are not very strong and prone to break under a decent amount of torque.

I have a stage 3 in my fox with a TKO 500. I never used to mind it, but now I can't stand the thing. Matt is right about the bucking below 2k, and his is probably even smoother than mine being that his is a 3+. I'm switching over to a Clutch Dynamics twin disc during the winter.

EVERYONE I know that tries a spec (myself included) usually takes it out as fast or faster than we put it in and go back to Ford Racing or a Centerforce. They are marginal at best for street driving. I won't put one in my race car if you gave one to me. However, everyone's experiences are different and those are just mine.

I just broke my spec stage 2. I got it with the t56 swap so i figured i'd try it. It lasted 2 or 3 trips to the track and now it doesn't disengage. I'm going to go with the centerforce this winter. I'll give that one a try i suppose.