special ordering new stang?

mustanglouie

Dec 30, 2004
Oakwood GA
I was wondering how this process works. I can't find what I want at my local dealership so I was considering special ordering my car. But is there an extra charge? Or does the dealership not like to do it or what? Please help me out and hopefully soon I will be a new owner of a new stang. Thanks for the help.
Lou

• Sponsors (?)

It's easy. First, go to Ford's website and "build" the car you want. Print that out, take it to your dealer and have them order it for you. I wouldn't count on paying less than sticker, though.

I'm paying less than MSRP because I am using the X-plan and the dealership I went to had no problem doing that for me. I just went in knowing what I wanted and we went through every option and ordered it. Only down side is, I have been waiting since December 27th and it is still not here yet :(. I believe technically it was finished being built on Monday, but who knows when it is going to get here. I hope you can wait.

A special order is a high profit sale for the dealer. This is because dealer knows the car is sold the day it arrives. So it does not cost them anything to keep it on their lot. With cars the dealer orders for inventory they don't know how long they're going to sit on their lot. Every day a car sits on their lost it cost them interest because they're borrowing $$ to pay for their inventory.

Call the fleet manager or the internet sales person at your dealer and deal with them.

Call the fleet manager or the internet sales person at your dealer and deal with them.

I dealt with the fleet sales manager when I ordered. I got the car for $500 over invoice (not sticker). It took about 7 1/2 weeks from date of order to date of delivery.

If you are interested, you could ask the manager to give you the Internet site so that you can track the location of the rail car that is carrying your Mustang. This should be available right after the vehicle is assembled. My Mustang visited some places that I'll probably never visit (wouldn't want to)!

Or you could do what my dealer did. Tell them what you want, and have them find it for you. There are only so many options and color combos... They found my 07 GT at Saleen ready to be transfored into one when they stole it from them for me!

A special order is a high profit sale for the dealer. This is because dealer knows the car is sold the day it arrives. So it does not cost them anything to keep it on their lot. With cars the dealer orders for inventory they don't know how long they're going to sit on their lot. Every day a car sits on their lost it cost them interest because they're borrowing $$ to pay for their inventory.

The problem with "fleet" ordering is you can't always get ALL the options you want...I found that out before I went to a dealer and ordered what I wanted. Best to "build your own" on the computer and take it to a dealer you like to order it. Yeah the wait sucks, but VERY worth it. Good Luck!:flag:

I special ordered mine in november and have now had it almost 4 weeks. I went and talked with my sles rep and i got an f-ing good deal check this.

MSRP on my car was 29,500. I got them to lower to 27,100 + $1000 rebate. Thats right i paid (1200 under invoice)26,100. for a premiumi gt with IUP, premier trim, comfort group, appearance package and something els, can't remember. with TT&L i aid 28,900. kick ass if you ask me.

The wait will kill you but it is worth it to get what you want, trust me.

My dealer also found my Mustang for me at another dealer. That is a way to go. I didn't get everything I wanted but I didn't have to wait for it to be built. My dealer has always been willing to go hundreds of miles for me to another dealer. It's rare when he has the exact color and options I want. I've only had one car in my life built and the wait was long but I got exactly what I wanted. $1200 below invoice sounds great. I'm suprised you got that could a deal.