Speedo Gear for 4.10s???

HoofnIt

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2001
North Carolina
I just swapped out my 3.55s for 4.10s a few days ago and I can't get the smile off my face! Now that the car is no longer my daily driver I don't mind the steep gear. My problem is that even with my 23 tooth (white) speedo gear my speedometer is WAY off! Can someone tell me how I can correct this? What combination of drive and speedo gear can I use to get it close & how accurate will it be?

On another note, will the Dallas Speed Cal work for our cars as it is only advertised for 96+?

Thanks Guys!

• Sponsors (?)

speed cal will not work with our cars and the only speedo gear is the 3.73 one which will make your car a little closer than what ya got it will be off to your favor by about 4 mph or so I run 4.30 gears and mine is off by like 10 - 12 mph in my favor.

fiveotony said:
speed cal will not work with our cars and the only speedo gear is the 3.73 one which will make your car a little closer than what ya got it will be off to your favor by about 4 mph or so I run 4.30 gears and mine is off by like 10 - 12 mph in my favor.

Incorrect. Speedcal will work with our cars, there are guys on here running it. Get it here from Brothers Performance:

http://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/brospeedcal.html

Enjoy.

- Adam

Our cars do have speedo gears, I know because I've changed them! If I go the speedcal route then should I get a speedo gear for 3.55s and use that for the calculation. If I leave the white one it it will eventually just get chewed up.

Thx

20new5.0 said:
I dont think our cars use spedo gears, I think there electronic controlled.

We have speedo gears. One at the VSS and one in the tail shaft.

I don't know for sure if a speedcal will work w/ our cars, but I think it does. I still haven't got a firm answer on this.
Scott

I am running a Speed Cal on my '94, so I'd say, ya, they work with our cars.

As far as changing your speedo gear, I don't know if I'd do that yet. The Speed Cal is pretty flexible, and can probably get you within 1% or 2% of dead on without doing anything else. But since you have a non-stock speedo gear in there, you might have to do some math to get the proper setting. You can test it on the highway mile markers to see how close you get it.

BTW, I don't know how hard it is to swap those speedo gears (never did mine - just went with the Speed Cal). But if it's real easy, you might even consider putting your stock gear back in. That way you can use the tables to figure out the proper setting for the Speed Cal. But only do that if its a piece of cake to swap the speedo gear.

Or just call Brothers, they can probably tell you the right setting for your ring and pinion/speedo combination.

Go back to stock, buy the speecal, go with their specs. This is what I'm doing with my 4.10 gear set. (I'm keeping the 3.27s just in case a s/c mysteriously shows up in the future.) The white gear will get chewed up because its not a ford part. I know there are the rare cases where this doesnt happen but the white 23 tooth gear for 3.55 correction is a Chrysler part and does not mesh dead nuts.

The "best" way to do it is what mytight95 did, change both gears. You can google out what the mechanical fix would be in terms of drive and speedo gears.

The hardest part about changing the speedo gear is jacking the car up...

- Adam