Speedo Not Working

Baseballhack

Nov 26, 2016
I know this has probably been asked before but I can't find an answer to my particular problem. Speedo was jumpy so I replaced the speedo cable and speed sensor. Now my speedo does not work at all, the odometer does though. Take the speedo cable out of the trans and put it in my drill and speedo responds, so speedo cable appears to be attached properly to the back of the cluster. Looked at worm gear in transmission with a mirror and it appears to be fine. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

• Sponsors (?)

Is the plastic gear that slides into the trans ok? The teeth should be straight and sharp. Try loooking in the inside of plastic gear and see if the square hole hasn't rounded off . Put it back together making sure cable stays in the plasic gear.

so what you are saying is
  • the speedo was jumping
  • you replaced the speedo gear on the cable and VSS
  • Then the speedo stopped working altogether
  • When you disconnect the cable from the trans the speedo works and does not jump
  • the tailshaft housing gear is not stripped

Are you sure
  • the VSS sensor is insalled properly and is working
  • the speedo gear is secured properly and not spining on the cable. it has a C clip on it
  • the cable is not binding or crimped.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/speedo-not-working-trans-or-cluster.818399/

did you get the right VSS

courtesy of Jrichker
speedometer cable replacement.

Note: All 89-93 cars have a VSS sensor even if they do not have cruise control. The 87-88 only have a VSS sensor if they have cruise control.

Speedo cable housing assembly without cruise control:
View attachment 114032

The VSS equipped cars have a speedo cable with a different fitting on the transmission end of the cable. It is the fitting on the LH side of the following picture.

Speedo cable housing assembly with cruise control
View attachment 114033

and Ford has a problem with VSS on AOD cars/trucks

It has cruise control which has never worked. My assumption was that the speedo on an 89 mustang was completely mechanical. So even if the VSS had issues the speedo would still operate. Does it make any sense that the odometer functions but the speedo does not? Seems odd to me.

No that does not make sense. The odometer gear is connected to the speedo head itself, so my guess is there is an issue with the speedo. It's purely a mechanical setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karthief, I did watch the video and yes i did plug the cable into the vss and installed the new gear with c clip on the vss. I am at a complete loss. Amazing how something so simple yet is kicking my butt.

Speedometer facts

How the speedometer works:
The indicator pointer has no direct connection to the speedo cable. It uses a drum with magnets on it to couple to the pointer. The drum turns and tries to twist the circular steel disk that is mounted on the pointer spindle. The magnetic force is all that connects the drum to the circular disk. There is very little clearance between the disk and drum, only a few thousands of an inch.

Lubrication warning
Use a graphite based lubricant for the speedo cable. It is available at most auto parts stores in a very small tube. Lubricate only the lower half of the cable. The reason for this is that if you use too much lubricant, it works its way up into the speedo head and gets between the rotating magnet and the disk. This causes the speedo to seize up and may wring the indicator needle off the indicator spindle. You may be able to fix things up with non-flammable brake parts cleaner to clean the disk and magnet assembly. Count on replacing the current cable and housing with a new cable and housing. You need to do this to prevent the excess lubricant from causing it to fail again.

A speedometer that bounces around is either a cable problem (top cause) or a speedometer drive gear that is chewed up. When you remove the cable drive end, check the teeth on the driven gear (the one attached to the cable) or the drive gear (the one on the transmission output shaft) Late Model Restoration (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/79-93-Mustang-Transmission-Speedometer-Correction) has a complete range of replacement speedometer gear sets.

Note: All 89-93 cars have a VSS sensor even if they do not have cruise control. The 87-88 only have a VSS sensor if they have cruise control.

The speedometer is purely a mechanical device on all Mustangs made prior to 1996. The VSS sensor is for cruse control and the speedometer will work perfectly well without it. Mass air computer cars use the VSS signal to reduce the tendency to stall when slowing down to a stop.

Speedo cable housing assembly without cruise control:
5612616_rnb_03171_main.jpg

The VSS equipped cars have a speedo cable with a different fitting on the transmission end of the cable. It is the fitting on the LH side of the following picture.

Speedo cable housing assembly with cruise control
5610005_rnb_03175_main.jpg

Thanks for all the inputs! Found the problem. As jrichker pointed out in the above post there is minimal clearance from the drum and the magnet head. The cable I purchased what just a tad bit to long and was putting pressure on the back of the speedo drum effectively allowing the gears to turn which accounted for the odometer working. But the pressure was enough to cause the magnetic forces to not allow the speedo to work. Bought another cable from a box store and all is good now. Thanks for all the input.

It's the little things in life that beat us over the head, glade you got it figured out.
Welcome to stangnet, where nobody should pay any attention to me, or lets see if @jrichker can explain what karthief is trying to confuse everybody with.
And post some pics of your ride, just to make me jealous.