Speedometer cable making noise

MO351

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
MO USA
Ok. I searched and read quite a few threads but didn't find out how to fix it other than possibly replacing the cable. I saw a few times where it was mentioned about maybe lubing it but then the answer to that particular part was either PM'd to the other party or just not posted. So.......here's my problem. I can hear a scratchy/grinding noise from behind the gauge cluster. I'm betting it's the speedometer cable because it gets faster as I increase speed and vice versa. I think I can hear it outside the car when I have the windows down, too. Now the speedometer doesn't have much of a problem until about 70-75 or so then it'll wiggle a little occassionally and it also seems to be off a little the faster I go past that mph. Is there a way to just lube the thing without replacing it? The car has 141,100 miles on it. 1990 GT 5-speed.

• Sponsors (?)

MO351 said:
Ok. I searched and read quite a few threads but didn't find out how to fix it other than possibly replacing the cable. I saw a few times where it was mentioned about maybe lubing it but then the answer to that particular part was either PM'd to the other party or just not posted. So.......here's my problem. I can hear a scratchy/grinding noise from behind the gauge cluster. I'm betting it's the speedometer cable because it gets faster as I increase speed and vice versa. I think I can hear it outside the car when I have the windows down, too. Now the speedometer doesn't have much of a problem until about 70-75 or so then it'll wiggle a little occassionally and it also seems to be off a little the faster I go past that mph. Is there a way to just lube the thing without replacing it? The car has 141,100 miles on it. 1990 GT 5-speed.
Lubing it is just a band-aid. Get a new one and be done with it.

Mine does the same thing i have the same year. I will be lubing mine until next week then will be buying a new one.. My dad said when he had one when he was young his did it to very common probelm.

Another vote for just getting a new cable.

The cable has worn thru it's liner and is now rubbing on the hard plastic / metal outer casing. This is what is causing it to squeak. The lube will only postpone the inevitable.... you need a new cable.

I'm going against the grain and going to say just to lube it.

I've had noisy cables before and lubed them and never heard a peep from them again. I don't know if it's the right grease, but I usually put a little whitelithium grease in the end ofthe cable before putting it into the cluster and it's silent. It's certainly cheaper and less work. :shrug:

My dad also said if you put a little bit of grease in it, it will never do it again at least his did not. I think im going to just replace it what is involved in doing this?

To replace it you will need to disconnect from the back of the gauge cluster, disconnect from the side of the transmission, unbolt it from the frame, and snake it out. Installation would be reverse of removal. Of course, you will most likely need to remove the gauge cluster and other stuff in the way to get to it.

To lube it, you would just remove the gauge cluster, lube the end, and replace it.

Hey, I'm new to the forum...I found it because I have a similar problem with the chirping/squeaking noise. 04 Cobra I picked up last fall. I really only hear the noise in 5th or 6th gear (i.e. highway speeds, low RPMs). The car only has less than 14k miles. I'll try replacing the speedometer cable and see if that helps. Any other tips or ideas?

@Crafty'04Terminator

@Noobz347 - Please move this post to the 1996-2004 Modular forum

For your 2004 car, one of the Modular forums would be a better choice to get a good answer.
Talk forum - http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/1996-2004-sn95-mustang-general-talk.52/
Tech forum - http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/SN95-46L-Mustang/

I believe that all the 1996 and later cars used an electronic speedometer which did not have a speedometer cable, They use a VSS sensor that is located on the transmission tailshaft housing. I doubt that it is the source of your problem.

Last edited: