Electrical Speedometer Recalibration Tool Help

adrift

Feb 21, 2004
Ohio
Hey folks,

I have a 96 automatic GT with 4:10 gears, and I'm going to attempt to install my Ford Racing Speedo Recalibrator today.

Official instructions for it are at the following PDF:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-4209ADPT-A.pdf

I'm using the alternative instructions for the 1994-1998 on page 3 that allows me to install the speedcal under the hood. I'm probably being overly paranoid here, but I don't mess with the wiring in my car that often, and I want to make sure I install this correctly.

nT4pjkI.jpg

xvE2yRH.jpg

From the photos I've attached you can see that I've found the 16 pin connector that I need to connect the speedcal to, but I'm not 100% positive from where I should connect it. The left side of the 16 pin connector contains the cavities, the right side (that I'm holding onto) contains the pins. I'm assuming I want to do my splicing before the female connector. Does that sound right to anyone else?

It seems after I cut the grey/black wire, I want to connect the green wire coming from the left cut, and then connect the white wire to the right cut leading into the female connector. Yes?

Then, as far as the power wire, I'm not sure what to do there. Should I cut the red wire and just splice the left end into my speedcal red wire? Or should I not cut the red wire, and just strip it and then attach the speedcal's red wire to it? I don't know how to solder, so I'm going to just wrap it with electrical tape if that's what I have to do. I'm assuming the red wire has to power whatever else is in that connector, and I don't want to chance cutting it, if I shouldn't.

Okay, thanks for bearing with me. I know I'm probably being really silly, but I just want to do this right the first time.

Thanks

EDIT: Disregard, I got brave and figured it out myself. I had the green and white wires reversed, the speedometer wasn't moving and the overdrive light started flashing. Fixed that and now it's working fine.

• Sponsors (?)

I have one of this recalibration tools in my tool box, haven't put it on yet though. I've heard it can be intermittent, how is it working for you?

I have 315/35-17s on the back, so figuring out what to dial in along with the gear ratio took a bit to figure out. I'm about 3-5 miles over according to my GPS, which I can live with seeing as I was 10-20 miles over. I might just need to dial it in a little better or something.

Other than that it seems to be working pretty well, except that on occasion I'll notice the speedometer do a little twitching thing while driving at a steady speed. And if I'm at a light and then hit the gas on a couple occasions I've seen the needle jump up and then go back to normal. I don't know. I grounded it to a grounding bolt near the hood hinge. Maybe I need to move it.