Spindles?

I am going to start on a disc brake conversion for my 66' 6 cylinder car, and I want to upgrade to V8 spindles. My question is on the early cars (pre 67) what other vehicles had the same spindles? Can I use V8 Falcon or Fairlane spindles? Are they the same as the mustang spindles of 65 to 66? Seems like the prices on mustang spindles are pretty high, whereas falcon and fairlane spindles are much more reasonable. I want to stay away from the Granada spindles because I want to run 14" wheels.

Again, staying away from the "Redesigned" Granada, or original Granada spindles is a excellent well though out choice. Both will cause you may a headache termoil.

Yes, the C5DA Spindles are out there--Yes we have a few. You call, we talk, like to see folks doing it right with fewer problems trying to Force fit, make it work, "It will work by doing" etc,

Dan @ Chockostang

• Sponsors (?)

I have no problem with mine. Not sure what you are talking about.

I know you and Dennis have issues but for the record, it was one of the better things I have done to the 66.

Let's end the BS. Chocko knows better but never allows the truth to get in the way of his commercial interest. There is a lot of this in this thread, and in the forums in general. All BS aside, owners of 6 cylinder 65-66 Mustang can upgrade their Mustangs brakes in 4 basic ways (The cost mentioned are for comparison purposes only).

-They can use a light weight system based on a caliper bracket cut from plate steel. The bracket mounts to the original light weight 6 cylinder spindles. The original light weight steering linkage and 4 lug wheels are retained. These commonly use components from several model or brands. Scarebird and SSBC offers such systems. The cost can be about $400 to much more.

-They can try to acquire 65-66 Mustang V8 spindles. These are fetching about $150-$250/set when they can be found. These can be the basis for installing the 65-66 V8 original equipment type Ford KH brakes. The KH kit is offered for $525. Again, the steering linkage needs to be upgraded (cost an additional $295). The the 6 cylinder 4 lug type wheels would need to upgraded to 14" or larger 5 lug type. If you have the spindles, this is a reasonable choice.

-They can upgrade using salvage "Granada" or 67-73 type Mustang spindles (drum or disc type). The parts are available to make this happen. These salvage Granada and 67-73 type spindles can usually be found for a lot less money than the 65-66 V8 type, but have incorrect steering geometry that may or may not cause problems. Again, the steering linkage and the wheels needs to be upgraded (as above).

-They can upgrade using a kit that uses purpose made Granada spindles that have V8 65-66 spec suspension/steering geometry. This kit is offered for $525. Again, the steering linkage and wheels will need to be upgraded. A 4 lug version is available (still requires wheel upgrade).

Updating a 6 cylinder Mustang poses many challenges not faced with their 8 cylinder brothers (sisters?). This is one of the primary basis for the value difference of these models.

Rant over.

"They can try to acquire 65-66 Mustang V8 spindles. These are fetching about $150-$250/set when they can be found. These can be the basis for installing the 65-66 V8 original equipment type Ford KH brakes. The KH kit is offered for $525. Again, the steering linkage needs to be upgraded (cost an additional $295). The the 6 cylinder 4 lug type wheels would need to upgraded to 14" or larger 5 lug type. If you have the spindles, this is a reasonable choice."

This is the route I want to go, didn't mean to cause any debate. For me, I want to upgrade the steering system and use the heavier duty spindles and I also want to be able to use a 14" steel wheel. So for me, this was the only logical choice after doing some research. I had planned on using the granda based kit until I realized that although there is a cost savings, it most likely require that I purchase 4 additional wheels and new tires. I may do that down the road, but for now even with acquiring the spindles off the v8 cars, I will still come out cheaper than doing the granada kit + new wheels/tires.
I managed to get 1 nice spindle already. Shipped I think I paid about $46 dollars. So.... I'm thinking about $300 bucks for steering components, $150ish for spindles, and $525 for the brake kit. That would put me at around $1000 bucks which I think is reasonable considering the entire front end of the car will be new. i already have new upper and lower control arms installed, and I also purchased V8 specific springs and a new set of shocks.

This is going to be July's project!!!

Yes, but when I bought my car the guy had just put a new set of tires on it. And the car has the bullet hole steel 14" wheels. I wasn't crazy about the wheels at first, but they cleaned up nice. I bought 2 matching 5 lug wheels for the back when I did the rear end and have 5 lug rear/ 4 lug fronts lol! So when I do the discs I just need 2 more 14" 5 lug wheels. I bought crager wheels from summit (bullet hole) and they are only $60 bucks a piece plus I always get $20 dollar off $100 dollar purchases from them. So, long story short I have 4 new wheels and tires and I have < $250 bucks in them. A nice set of torque thrust II's, which I may buy down the road in say 15" with tires would probably run about $1200 bucks give or take.

Attachments

• gsmc1.jpg
    gsmc1.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 198
Makes sense. And I think the wheels look good with that paint color.

I appreciate that! I didn't think I would like them, but they have grown on me. They are cheap too, and now I have Crager centers for them so it kind of adds the retro flavor a little. Crager has been around for a long time. I'll probably get something different eventually, but they work good for now.