spring settling

mustangsquared

Founding Member
Jun 8, 2002
new bern nc
Just added my Steeda springs this weekend...how long/many miles before they finish settling and I can get an alignment?? How mush more should the car drop... 1/8 inch at all corners?? I like the look but for some reason though the tail would drop a little more..... my 91 sits lower (but then again I have 17"rims and low profile tires so she should :rolleyes:)

• Sponsors (?)

Springs shouldn't settle and if they do, they are a very low quality as in terms of today's standards. I've installed about 8 sets of springs and none of them have settled. I've installed quite a few coilovers on trucks and none of those have settled. Get it aligned and be done with it.

If you don't believe me, think about this ... The manufacture uses brand new springs. No one goes to get the car re-aligned after so many miles because of the springs settling.

valid point but when I dropped my 91 half the fox forum told me to wait a week for them to settle...but I agree that what your saying makes sense. I just wanted to be safe and not waste $80..... thats mod money...granted only a small portion but its a start. LOL

dumb question, but doesn't the factory also do something to wear in the springs? to simulate already driven springs. of course if they did this the people making the springs could also do the same thing.

it would seem like a good idea.

how much of PIA is the front springs on these cars? i want to put springs on after i get wheels, just want to do springs, struts, caster camber plates etc all together.

I had a friend do mine (out of work and has a family and kids, not to mention a former Marine...we stick together) and it took him 2 hours by himself with air tools and a floor jack. I'm goin gto have him do my UDP's as well.... my schedule has been very busy so the UDP's and springs have been sitting in my garage for 2 years.... so paying him to do them is worth it...that or I wait another 6 months to find the time to get them done....I coach two soccer teams and I am getting married next April so my better half is dragging me all over the place looking at "stuff".... none of it car related.... :( LOL

While I agree that most modern springs don't do drastic amounts of settling they will droop and tire out if installed with incorrectly valved shocks (read factory and or worn shocks) and driven at great lengths without a suitable replacement. If the shock absorber fails to provide dampening and absorb the hits from the road, the spring will have to pick up the slack and will wear out eventually.