Sputtering and got stranded!

Hello fellas, I need someones expertise suggestion. I was driving home this afternoon and got stranded when my 66 sputtered to a stop. No previous symptoms. I was going about 60mph when it started sputtering and engine just shut down when I slowed to about 15-20mph. I instantly smelled the strong scent of gas when I got off the car and my intake manifold was full of gas. I checked the wires and they were all hooked up snugly to the plugs and the coil had plenty of spark and the carb was shooting gas into the jets. I have no idea what else it could be.:shrug: Any suggestions wouls be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas. Sergio

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like the needle valve in the carb has failed and is leaking gas under pressure. you need to remove the carb top and change out the needle valve with a new one.

sounds like the needle valve in the carb has failed and is leaking gas under pressure. you need to remove the carb top and change out the needle valve with a new one.

He's right, the car sounds like it is flooding itself out. Your carb float raises and closes that needle valve when it's full, if the float went bad (will be full of gas and heavy) that could also be the problem. The needle valve stuck open is allowing to much gas into the chamber and then it overflows into the carb and stalls the car out. Also could be a piece of dirt sticking that valve open, you might wanna change the fuel filter since your gonna be fixing the carb at the same time.