Sputtering and missing badly at start

zeke491

Nov 26, 2002
Hi All,

Just got my stang woke up from her winter sleep. I drove her to work and then I got a check engine light.

When I tried to leave she sorta started, sputtered and died. I don't really hear the normal exhaust tone like it's either missing really bad or no spark at all.

I pulled the code and it was 116 which said it was something about the ECT being out of range. Next, so the ECT couldn't mess with the timing I pulled the spout connector. Same results.

I could smell fuel, so I was thinking my spark is missing or timing is off.

Do you think My TwEECer could have went bad?

Also, what procedure can i take to make sure it is sparking. Maybe hook up a timing light and wait for it to turn on?

Thanks,
Tom

• Sponsors (?)

ECT out of range will happen if the engine isn't at operating temperature when you run the tests. Were there any stored codes other than 116?

Check under the distributor cap, make sure there isn't any corrosion.

I tried turning the engine with my flex bar and I saw the distributor move. I tightened down the hold down bolt and she started right up. She is bucking badly.

I'm not sure if the problem is the timing is now off or I have the tune set on the wrong selection (TwEECer). I did a compression test because I replaced the intake gasket because there was coolant in the exhaust and had fears the head gasket was at fault.

Cylinder 8 seems a little low but this test doesn't show sign of a blown gasket. Next the Cap looks a little nasty so I have a cap and rotor kit to install and set her to top dead center and set the timing. Can't forget spark plugs.

Am I missing something?

I tried turning the engine with my flex bar and I saw the distributor move. I tightened down the hold down bolt and she started right up. She is bucking badly.

I'm not sure if the problem is the timing is now off or I have the tune set on the wrong selection (TwEECer). I did a compression test because I replaced the intake gasket because there was coolant in the exhaust and had fears the head gasket was at fault.

Cylinder 8 seems a little low but this test doesn't show sign of a blown gasket. Next the Cap looks a little nasty so I have a cap and rotor kit to install and set her to top dead center and set the timing. Can't forget spark plugs.

Am I missing something?

dont forget a new coil!!!

Yep, forgot the coil and filters....

It's a K&N and seemed alright but should have a cleaning. I Kinda wanted to get an ebay or homemade CAI cause I hate the stock airbox. Probably needs fuel so that is a must.

Ignition Coil? Is the OEM Coil sufficient for a HCI set or it there performance gains with a performance coil?

What kind of wires to you recommend? Right now I just have some cheapy autolite wires from when I first got the car.

I've got her back together now and she is running good.