Squeaky wheel

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
I've got a 2003 GT; when I first start the car in the morning or after it's been sitting for a few hours, the rear driver's side (I think) wheel squeaks at low speed---below 20 MPH. If I apply the brakes, the squeak stops. Once I get above 20 MPH, there's no squeaking.

The fact that it stops when I press the brake pedal obviously leads me to believe it's brake related.

What should I check for? Just spray down the rotor with cleaner? Wheel bearing need greasing?

• Sponsors (?)

There are wear indicators on brake pads. They look like small metal tabs sticking out towards the rotor. The intention of these wear indicators is to squeak when your pads are worn to the point of needing replacement. I'd take a look at the pads and see how much material is left. If the pads are worn out, replace them and buy new rotors/have them turned. Using brake cleaner to fix the problem isn't a good idea IMO. They are squeaking for a reason.

If the pads look to be in good shape, try turning the wheel by hand and see if you can replicate the noise. It's potentially the wheel bearing, but based on your description I'd bet it's the brakes.

Well, I did replace the rear pads, rotors, and driver side caliper last year and probably have less than 20K miles on them (previously changed at 98K)...so I wouldn't *think* that'd be an issue. Unless I got some faulty pads (they're Motorcrafts though...)

I'll check it out anyway. I do certainly believe it's brake related since it stops when I apply the brakes.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was only thinking brake cleaner because I thought maybe there's some dirt on the rotor.

Well, I did replace the rear pads, rotors, and driver side caliper last year and probably have less than 20K miles on them (previously changed at 98K)...so I wouldn't *think* that'd be an issue. Unless I got some faulty pads (they're Motorcrafts though...)

I'll check it out anyway. I do certainly believe it's brake related since it stops when I apply the brakes.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was only thinking brake cleaner because I thought maybe there's some dirt on the rotor.

Is the noise coming out of the front or rear? You said you replaced one of the calipers and obviously would have replaced the brake pads on that side. Did you replace the pads on the opposite side in front as well? Not too common to only replace pads on one side and not the other.

Is the noise coming out of the front or rear? You said you replaced one of the calipers and obviously would have replaced the brake pads on that side. Did you replace the pads on the opposite side in front as well? Not too common to only replace pads on one side and not the other.

The noise definitely sounds like it's from the rear driver's wheel.

I did replace the rear pads on both sides of the car at the same time (the pads were sold as a set).

I only replaced the driver side rear caliper at that time.

The front pads were not touched at the time of the rear pad replacement...they were replaced about 30K miles prior to the rears...but have been replaced again since that (about 5K miles ago).

The noise definitely sounds like it's from the rear driver's wheel.

I did replace the rear pads on both sides of the car at the same time (the pads were sold as a set).

I only replaced the driver side rear caliper at that time.

The front pads were not touched at the time of the rear pad replacement...they were replaced about 30K miles prior to the rears...but have been replaced again since that (about 5K miles ago).

When you replaced the rear brakes and the rear caliper, did you make sure the caliper pins were properly greased with high temp brake grease? When I did a brake job a couple years ago, the caliper pins on my car locked up afterwards and it burned through my new pads very fast. In other words, the brake on one side in the rear was constantly being applied because the caliper pins had locked in position.

Take apart the rear brakes on the suspected side and see if the pins float freely in the caliper bracket, be sure there is enough pad remaining, etc... rear brakes on these cars should last a very long time.

Sounds like your brake pads are glazed.
Grease, heat, and pressure would cause brake pads and rotors to glaze. Now, your rear end bearings and seals might be leaking rear gear oil on that side. Once you fix the leak by replacing both axle's seals and bearings, to get rid of the squeak you need to replace the brake pads and rotor on the squeaky side. Long story on how I found this out. Best of luck.
Demon.