Stalling Issue Please Help

Billymustfox

Jan 29, 2014
Hi everyone
Im having a running issue and dont want to just start wasting money on parts that arent bad. 90 gt mostly stock other than full exhaust, explorer intake with 65mm tb and maf. Cold start will not idle at all till warm, when i leave work it sometimes will stall at all lights till i get on interstate ad temp rises to halfway point normally at 1\4 up. Ive replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap n rotor and the iac. When i did the intake swap i replaced the other few sensors instead of using the old ones. Sometimes it runs almost smooth other than the occasional slight misfire and other times i find myself holding the brake with my left foot and gas with my left so it dont stall. O yea and when it does stall at times it will act like my battery is dead when i try to crank it up. Very embarrassing in orlando fl traffic. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it slowly got worse starting after intake install. I have checked all the vac lines due to there being a few more than stock and all are accounted for or plugged. Im gonna try the paper clip trick this weekend . I tried to explain symptoms as best as possible and i hope i figure it out soon . Its a daily driver and is killing me in fuel. Thanks

I worry about sticking a paperclip in the wrong port so I got a code reader. But either way, I agree. Get the codes read and check for vac leaks before buying some more parts. If it is all OK, jrichker has an idle setting procedure posted that works great. It should be easy to search for if he does not repost it for you.

unplug the spout, throttle position sensor, and idle air control valve

with the engine at a warm stabilized idle, adjust the set screw until the engine is just barely idling

shut it off, plug all 3 connectors back in and enjoy, give it a few minutes for the idle to relearn

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 134,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate all the info, the problem was a vac leak around the egr valve and my timing was off. I also changed the ect sensor only cause its the only one left i havnt changed. Thanks again guys!!!!