Stang back on the road after 3+ years! Please help me sort a few 'bugs'

bcmbcmbcm

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jan 29, 2003
OK so the stang is back on the road!
After sitting in a garage for 3 years through divorce and disaster I am through the other side and had some excellent top down cruising on the PCH through Malibu yesterday. Well that’s for talk, here is the tech! I have a few bugs to work out, so I will list those first.
• Cruise control doesn’t work
• Reverse lights don’t work
• Shifter boot pulls the bezel out when going into 3rd or OD (repro parts from 50resto. Boot too short?)
• Seems to be a little ‘choppiness’ when accelerating hard from 3K-4500RPM (Valve spring float???)
• My tires are flat spotted, I want new 225 60 15 so I can run 10 holes, but I can’t find Summer tires in this size. I really like the sleeper
• Idle choppy like I need a new IAB (I just replaced it 4k miles ago, but it was off the car and sitting in a box…can it go bad, AGAIN??)

So here are the specs on the car, prior to the upgrades
87 LX 5.0 Vert, AOD, Max motorsports sport box, subframes, STB. 62K on the clock, new paint, interior, and misc. NOS goodies. Car is very crisp looking and handling

Here are the upgrades completed in one shot:
Z spec T5 with stock clutch and stock flywheel cryo treated.
Rebuilt original engine, new forged slugs, ARP hardware inside, EGR bumps removed on E7s. New lifters and new 19# injectors. Fuel pump replaced not too long ago. Stock intake cleaned and powder coated. Every visible nut was powdercoated, cleaned or painted. Original water pump rebuilt. Brass radiator from when you can still get em, the wide one, 3 core, I think. PA performance alternator. New (Cardone Reman) SD computer.
’93 Cobra rear disc setup with all new parts, North Racecars brackets to keep the spacing proper behind the 10 holes.
Anyways this is kind of talk and tech …I am psyched to be driving this car again but can use some advice on my ‘list’.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry cant help on the tech but just wanted to say that I am getting ready to exit that same nasty hiway. Mustang sitting for 3 yrs after nasty divorce. CONGRATS!!! Enjoy it brother.

I doubt with a stock cam you are floating any valves.

For the tires, very simple smoke them up real good.

I'd start with the basics, new spark plugs, wires are probably still good.
New ford cap and rotor.
Check TPS voltage.
Check Timing.
Make sure you have fresh gas in there.

my mustang sat for about 3 yrs before i started driving it and before it began driving normal I had to replace the TPS, IACV, plugs, wires, rotor, fuel tank, fuel pump, vapor valve, all the rubber grommets associated with the fuel tank, pcv valve, and it still needs a new steering rack and a new radiator before i can drive it regularly. It seems as though i was having the same issue regarding acceleration as you, my problem was my fuel tank was SOOOOOO rusted that rust dust/particles were clogging up the fuel pump/filter under WOT.

I replaced just about everything....

my mustang sat for about 3 yrs before i started driving it and before it began driving normal I had to replace the TPS, IACV, plugs, wires, rotor, fuel tank, fuel pump, vapor valve, all the rubber grommets associated with the fuel tank, pcv valve, and it still needs a new steering rack and a new radiator before i can drive it regularly. It seems as though i was having the same issue regarding acceleration as you, my problem was my fuel tank was SOOOOOO rusted that rust dust/particles were clogging up the fuel pump/filter under WOT.

I was real thorough, except for the fuel tank which I replaced about 5 years ago. The engine was out so I replaced everything....cap rotor plugs,wires, O2 The only thing I didn't replace was the IAB, which I replaced about 4 years ago (with only 3K miles on it) to fix a surging idle.

Before I put the car away I filled up the tank to avoid rust. I also siphoned the gas before firing it up, and it looked fine. Let me know what you think, thanks again!