Stang was on the dyno!

I thought my 331 with AFR heads and an X-cam with a full exhaust and intake and s/c with 6 psi would pull down more that 389rwhp and 403rwtq. But i'm still happy with it. Its a safe tune and will give me years of fun! But i heard that i shouldn't expect more than that. I had guess my numbers higher cause of that of other cars but then the guy who tuned mine said that alot of guys BS their dyno numbers. Kinda like my fish is bigger than your fish deal! Now i don't feel bad cause either you or the dyno is lying!

I don't wanna sound like i'm bashing but that's kinda weak for a blown stroker. My buddy's 347 put out identical numbers all motor (and i don't think 16ci is going to make that big of a difference..lol). But like you said it'll be hella fun and safe for a good long time.

• Sponsors (?)

Its enough for my convertible. Its a complete sleep with the stock turbine wheels under it with M/T streets. I thought my numbers would be low too. But im right there with my buddies 04' Procharged Mach 1 he layed down 470 rwhp. Its a sick car. He beat me by two lenghts cause he had better tires. But i was pulling on him at the end. Do you guys think that most of your dyno numbers are off and that they might not be realistic numbers? Oh yeah and I'll walk the LS3 vettes.

My junk dynos 258/295...

I highly doubt them to be off seeing as my trap speeds (3100-3200 lbs) are anywhere from 107 to 110. :D My dyno guy knew me though, and knew I wasn't there to be impressed! This was the same dyno I mentioned my friend making his power with the turbo car earlier, again, knowing the dyno guy would never try to impress us with the power being made.

numbers may be a bit low but nothing to worry about a cam and intake swap would do numbers for the combo but aslong as it is fun thats all that matters.

about the dynos pretty much everyone with a 331 NA with a agressive head cam intake combo can put down close to 400 at the wheels so i wouldnt say that every dyno in the world is lyin to these people.

I wanted to be impressed. But after he told be that must guys or the people that BS their numbers are lying and that they have unreal numbers i didn't fell as bad.

I wouldn't say most people... sure there are cases out there, but I would say most tuners only care about making the cars run well, with big power numbers or not. I know my tuner ran our cars, and none of us cared about final power numbers, and it shows.

258 rwhp I went mid 12s @ 107 in my street car.

290 rwhp and my brother went low 12s @ 110 in his street car.

Our dyno numbers actually look low to me, but I never complained :D

...must guys or the people that BS their numbers are lying and that they have unreal numbers...

Sounds like ricer talk to me... :rlaugh:

Juuuust kidding. I'd seriously question a dyno tuner that makes statements like that, though.

Why are you worried about your air/fuel? Were you starting to run lean at the higher RPMs? What is your fuel system setup? I would certainly think that a properly built motor with a supporting fuel system and the RIGHT tune would not be a "ticking time bomb" at only 6 psi boost.

I wouldn't doubt him. At least he is honest and know what he's doing so he will give me a great tune that won't harm my motor. Sure if the guy built the motor and new ALL the specs on it it could have been pushed farther. But the more i think about it, it has the stock block and makes great numbers plus its a convertible. I have the 255 pump and 42 pound injectors.But if 03' Cobras are only pulling down 415-420 with the basics on them then someones dyno is off. So i might be pulling down like 430 to 440 on someone elses dyno?

Dude, seriously you should stop worrying about the numbers. Enjoy what you have, because if you want to compete with everyone, you're going to lose. Someone is always faster. Whether you make 350 rwhp or 1050rwhp, you aren't going to be the biggest or the baddest. Your car should be whatever makes you happy, not what impresses other people. There's no other happy ending. It should just be something you feel good about when you get in and take it for a spin. If you don't feel good about it, change **** or sell it and start with something new. When you do feel good about it, hold on to it.

Chris

yeah guess so. I love driving the car. It will hang with anything and everything on the street. So yes i'm happy. Its fast. Hung with a 470 rwhp Mach1 so really happy about that. That was my closest race yet only cause i didn't know how to drive and were to shift with the new motor.

From what i've read. The numbers you've got i would be perfectly happy with. I mean there is def. more to be had. But you built your engine setup with cheap prices in mind. And theres nothing wrong with that, alot of people do it. But it does effect your hp. Like someone else said, had you gone with 185cc heads, a better quaility intake(systemax, edelbrock, etc), and a better quality blower(vortech, paxton), you would have alot different #'s.

But the real question is. Do you really need any more HP then you got? Probably not, just a greed thing. Whos got the bigger balls.

ill try and offer some insight and more in a couple days hopefully. I'm the one 25th was talking about with the turbo kit. i have 91gt with a bone stock motor with just a used edelbrock performer intake and 70mm tb or whatever and i put the base hellion kit on my car (62mm) at 9lbs and made 349hp and 419tq at the tire on a dynojet

i have since had a motor built and will have new numbers by saturday i should think. i have a stock block 331 afr 185s with the smaller combustion chambers, the 58cc ones if i remember correctly a comp cams cam, all i can remember off the top of my head is .512 lift if that sounds right? same intake which is quite definitely limiting me right now. in the process of being tuned right now and is getting a better maf because it was going lean at only 5000 rpm. and keep in mind this time its on a mustang dyno, not a dynojet. with the added volume of the motor im only seeing 7lbs of boost now and i think i already made 390hp and 410tq at the tire without being able to go over 5000rpm so ill have the complete and final numbers, supposed to be picking the car up maybe this saturday morning. again those are mustang dyno numbers not dynojet

My brother's naturally aspirated 331 stroker engine makes 390 RWHP and 362 RWT, and he runs 11.40's @ 120 at the track. It's got AFR 185's, Victor Jr. Intake and a Holley 650.

Your engine makes good power but the AFR 165's may be choking it a little bit. Like someone mentioned already, don't worry about the numbers. If it's tuned correctly and it's fun to drive, that's all that matters. There's a lot of cars that will always be faster, whether you've got 390 or 900 horsepower.

I'm kind of in the same situation. I've got a dual quad intake with two Edelbrock 500 cfm carbs, on my 306. I made 307 RWHP and 278 RWT. I've had plenty of people tell me that my power numbers are down and that if I changed over to a Victor Jr. and a 650, I'd probably pick up 15-20 horsepower. That may be true and it may gain me 1 or 2 tenths in the quarter mile, but I'd lose the look of the dual quads. To me, it's not worth it. I like it just the way it is!

Enjoy your car!

Sounds like a fun ride i pretty much agree what im hearing especially about going with 185s instead of 165s, Hey SQUEEZE&STROKE i got stock intake and manifold and 19 pound injectors from my 89 i sell u cheap?

Yeah i probably could have gotten better numbers, but whats done is done. Im not going to spend $1500 on another set of head, or another $500 on an intake that might get me 10-20 horse. The head will give me more but not a whole lot more. Plus another $500 for a tune. I'm not going to spend $2500 plus another $1200 in labor. I'll just focus on being a better driver and let it be a drivers race. Oh and I'll have to pass on the 19# injectors and stock intake i already have three of those sets in my attic. I will sell you a set of stock heads if you would like? Thanks Alot guys now i see that i truely do have a great sleeper.