Start school tomorrow

351wcoupe

Feb 13, 2003
Manhattan, Kansas
I guess the summer days of racing every week are gone and I'll just have to sneak a few in before the end of the year.
I'm in an Auto program at a local college and can't wait to get back. I'll have full access to a huge loaded shop with machining equipment and tech info from any dealership.
I'm scheduled to take more ASE tests in the fall and I've already completed A6 Electrical.

Just wondering if anybody else is doing something similar?

Later,
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Similar in the sense that school starts tomorrow, but not so in the sense that I'll have good facilities to work on the car. Still haven't gotten my front brakes and Bilsteins on, because I need air tools to get the damned strut-to-spindle nuts off, and I'm having a helluva time coordinating with my buddy to get shop time at his work. Gotta fit my school schedule, my work schedule, my homework, his work schedule, his personal schedule, and the right facilities and time for a post-swap alignment, etc. :shrug: Busy lives...

Ash

I finished my electrical engineering degree with a control systems track in may. Looking for a job now. I'd like to combine my two main interests, cars and electronics. So I'm looking for a job in automotive control sytems. I applied to Honda R&D, DaimlerChrysler, Standard Auto Parts, Ford, and a bunch of other places. So far nothing though... eveyone wants like 3-5 years experience... if anyones got any ideas of where to apply let me know

-Ryan

rgosulliv said:
I finished my electrical engineering degree with a control systems track in may. Looking for a job now. I'd like to combine my two main interests, cars and electronics. So I'm looking for a job in automotive control sytems. I applied to Honda R&D, DaimlerChrysler, Standard Auto Parts, Ford, and a bunch of other places. So far nothing though... eveyone wants like 3-5 years experience... if anyones got any ideas of where to apply let me know

-Ryan

How much electronics do you want? A lot of the chips that go in car systems are made by, well, chip manufacturers, not car manufacturers. I know Freescale in Austin provides chips for automotive applications, and my former employer also did. you could do some research on chip makers' websites, find out which ones have automotive business, and send in a resume. If you have a heavy circuit design background, you could apply for designer jobs. Otherwise you could go for applications engineer jobs.

Most companies, and this goes for all sectors, not just semiconductor, have separate recruiting efforts for new grads and experienced workers. If you go to the jobs section of their websites, there will be a separate application procedure for new grads. If you live in the town where your university is, use their career center. If god forbid you are still unemployed around college recruiting time (mid october) get down and start attending company nights and practice your spiel to talk yourself into an on-campus interview. That's really the way to go- find a way to talk to a human and convince them that you are the cat's pajamas. You would probably get the same response rate by throwing a hundred resumes out the window on the expressway as you would submitting a hundred resumes over the web.

Good luck. I've been there. I'm there again.

I'm actually not looking for chip design. I'm looking for more of a research and design position to help with the implementation of new control systems on cars. For example; alternative power sources, self guidance, ride control, to name a few. Like from the concept to the completion, all aspects. I want to get into the mechanical aspect as well as the electrical. I actually do have a job now its just not what i want so that has made me not concentrate as hard as I could on finding another job.

-Ryan