Starter Bad?

Chetly

Aug 6, 2003
I have had my car running for acouple days now. I would turn the key and it would start. Today i got in to set the timing and it started. Then it stalled out becuase its cold and its carbed. I went to start it again and all i heard was a CRKKK, sound if taht makes any sense. Not a clikcing but a squelch type sound. Hard to explain. I have a new selenoid and battery. As i said, i had it running ealier in the day. Is my starter bad. If now, what else could it be.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say its either a bad starter where its not coming out all the way before turning or its the flywheel where its missing teeth or misaligned for the starter. You might want to bump the engine at the crank a 1/4 turn just to make sure it isnt the flywheel.

Allen

93 LX said:
I would say its either a bad starter where its not coming out all the way before turning or its the flywheel where its missing teeth or misaligned for the starter. You might want to bump the engine at the crank a 1/4 turn just to make sure it isnt the flywheel.

Allen
im not sure i can imagine the crk sound, but i agree with Allen. to elaborate on his idea, easy way to do it: stick the car in fifth gear and push it forward a few feet. see if it will start now. this rotates the flywheel to a different position where it will meet the bendix (starter gear).
could be a bad starter. since i cant imagine what the noise sounds like, do forget to check your grounds. the starter grounds all its juice through the block, so you need clean engine to chassis grounds.
good luck.