starter going?? please help me out

well today i had a problem turning over the motor....luckily it started, but i dont know what it is now, sofar ive replaced the coil, battery, and alternator. what is next? and how can i tell what the problem is?
i bought a powermaster 130amp alt. from summit if that could be a problem in any way.
please help me out, i need to get to work tomorrow!

• Sponsors (?)

I also have a powermaster and it's not charging my battery, so that could be your problem. Do you have a multi-meter? If so, test the output at the alt. w/ the wire disconnected. Do you have the alt. hooked up as a 1 wire? What exactly is it doing? Does it crank slowly or what?

You need to be specific on what the car is doing, not starting is not going to cut it as a description.

Does it try and crank over? Does it crank over and not start?
Does it start with a jump?
Does it just click?

i do have the 1 wire hook up.
sofar it hasnt not started, it just cranks real slow and then finally turns on. no clicks yet....im just trying to trouble shoot this before it actually dies on me, aka. tomorrow morning at 8am
if it doesnt start, is it ok to jump it? and or use a jumper box?
thanks guys

I would try and jump, i see no reason not to. Without jumping it, how would you know if the battery's dead? If it jumps and them the car uses up the battery and stalls, it's the alternator.

smellmygas said:
anyone else?
or what can i do to test that its the starter?

I would take the starter out of the question since it is turning over. They usually grind and make loud nosies when going out. Sounds like you have a power issue. The car isn't getting enough juice to turn itself over. Have you messed with the timing at all? That can sometimes cause the motor to turn over harder. What is your Volt meter reading? Low, high what? Did you test your alternator to see if it's putting out the correct amps? You may want to check all your wiring from your alternator as they can sometimes crack or get lose causing it not to charge your battery. If you just got a new one, I'm sure it's okay. How old is the battery?

Here's a checklist:

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order.

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Then pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw) and jump it to the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

4.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then the relay is bad. See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars .OR see http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars.

5.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) Pull the starter and take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

jrichker said:
Here's a checklist:

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order.

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Then pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw) and jump it to the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

4.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then the relay is bad. See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars .OR see http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars.

5.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) Pull the starter and take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

thank you very much...that is very helpful