Starter noise

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
I have a '66 mustang coupe with a 302 with electronic ignition system and i recently had to replace the starter solenoid because my car would not crank over. I just hooked up the new solenoid and went to test it out, and I let it crank for 1 second, didn't want to start the engine with the garage closed. But immediantly after I heard some knocking noise, I'm guessing it's the starter as it sounds like it is coming from the pass side of the engine. Is this a typical noise to hear? It knocked for about 8 times before I disconnected the battery. I have a starter from a 90's mustang I believe, its not the big heavy one like I used to have. I had to replace it with this one because of the heddman headers I have.

Also, it's fairly hard to start this engine, I have to crank it for about 15-30 seconds on and off to get it started. I have plane jane 302 heads, 8.9:1 comp., with and edelbrock 1402 carb, and a torquer 289 intake. The battery has 720 cranking amps, and 575 cold cranking amps. I've gone thru numberous batteries and starters since 2001. Any suggestions are very welcome, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)