Starter Question

Black1987

my wife Bedazzled my input shaft
15 Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC
I have been working on getting this 95 GT roller I bought running for awhile now. My question is the small black wire coming off the starter isn't getting power to engage the starter. Though I can jump it to power and get the starter to engage. Checked the fuses and all of them are good. Any ideas of why I'm losing power. Ignition switch? Also I might add there is a random wire coming out of the bottom of fuse box in the engine bay. Looks to be wired into the starter relay? Any help would be great. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

i would guess its either the ignition switch, or the clutch safety (manual) or Neutral/Park safety switch (auto trans). i had the same problem, instead of fishing around for what went bad, i installed a push button start switch. +12v to the switch and the other side goes to the starter solenoid where the stock 12ga wire is. still need the key in the 'run' position (and make sure clutch is in or not in gear).

Did you check in/outs at the starter relay (underhood fusebox)? That will tell you which direction to go.

Did you check in/outs at the starter relay (underhood fusebox)? That will tell you which direction to go.

Yeah I pulled the bottom off the fusebox and like I thought that random wire that hanging was hard wired into the starter relay was doing something wrong because the relay was burned up. I went ahead and replaced the relay, which worked for the first start up, then smoked:(. So, I removed that wire (which I couldn't find on any diagram) replaced the relay and works like a champ. Guess the wire was shorting out the relay somehow. Now exhaust and on the road to the paint booth. Thanks, for all the help:nice:.