Starter Solenoid/3G Wiring

Shakerhood

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Ohio
I have started laying out my Wiring for my 3G Upgrade and when I pulled the cover off and looked at my Starter Solenoid I got to wondering if you mount your Power Cable to the most Forward Lug or the Rearward Lug? I have a bad feeling it is going to be the rearmost one because it is full right now, if this is the case how have you guys managed? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The 3G power cable mounts on the stud that has the cable that goes to the battery. You may find that there is very little room on that stud since it is the power source for all sorts of things.

I was afraid it is that Stud as mine is already full, that little circuit breaker for the power windows takes up any free space that was on there. Is it possible to mount the power cable straight to the Battery or is that asking for trouble?

You could absolutely run it directly to the battery. On my 95, there's an underhood fuse box and the battery runs to the post on it, and so does the alternator. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it, but you'd want some sort of inline fuse or fusible link, just like you'd have from the factory.

I took another look at my Solenoid, rather than try to find one with longer Studs I think I can find a couple Nuts that are a little bit Thinner and that should give me enough space!