STARTER??? SOLENOID??? WON'T START---HELP!!!

1992MustangGT

15 Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Washington State
Ok guys, I have a starting problem that just suddently reared it's ugly head and I need some advice. The car in question is a 92 Mustang GT 5.0. Been driving the car for a few years and all of a sudden about a week ago I went out to start the car and when I turned the key all I heard was a "click"; only one click, not multiple clicks like a starter solenoid would do when it goes bad. So I let off the key and tried it again and nothing but a "click" again. My thought was that it must be the starter solenoid, so I go get my jumper and connected one end to the starter terminal on the solenoid and the other to the battery and pulled the trigger and nothing but another "click". The click is coming from the solenoid or something in that area. So I run to Autozone and buy a new starter solenoid and put it on and tried it again, but nothing but a "click" again. Since the solenoid was brand new and being very confused about not being able to jump across the solenoid led me to suspect the starter, although I had my doubts. So due to process of elimination I replaced the starter. After getting the starter in I tried to start it and....you guessed it, "click". So I tried one more time and suddenly it fired up!!!!

So I've been driving it for two days now with a new starter solenoid and starter hoping my problems were solved, but something in the back of my mind told me it wasn't because the clicking symptom seemed to be unusual. Usually when a starter solenoid goes bad, you can jump across it and it will start. But that didn't happen. Plus the problem remained after installing a new solenoid.

So I am leaving work today during lunch and I jump in the Stang and go to fire up and nothing but a "click" again. I tried it about 6 or 7 more times before it finally fired.

So replacing the starter solenoid and starter did not fix the problem. Can anyone tell me what this clicking noise is that's coming from the starter solenoid or at least something next to the solenoid? It wouldn't be the ignition switch would it? If it is the ignition switch, why is the clicking noise coming from the starter solenoid, which is on the driver's side fender apron by the battery and not coming from the ignition switch itself? I can't think of any other thing it could be. Anyone have any advise?

• Sponsors (?)

Check you battery post and cables because it could be your problem and make sure they are in good condition. Because if one or both are slack it could cause the problem you are having plus if your post are slack or bad it could cause the same problem. So check them out or replace them and you should be okay. But also check your wires around the coil and solenoid to make sure there is nothing loose but i think the problem is the cables/battey post.

Check you battery post and cables because it could be your problem and make sure they are in good condition. Because if one or both are slack it could cause the problem you are having plus if your post are slack or bad it could cause the same problem. So check them out or replace them and you should be okay. But also check your wires around the coil and solenoid to make sure there is nothing loose but i think the problem is the cables/battey post.

+1 for a weak battery or loose/bad cable. My first thought is bad starter, since the solenoid is engaging, (that's the click) but since you just replaced that, you should double check and make sure everything is tight and the starter is seated properly against the trans housing.

Ok, I'll check the battery post and all the wires in that area. I know the starter bolts are tight and so are the wires connected to the starter solenoid, but I'll check the coil and battery and everything in that area. Thanks for the advise. I'll let ya'll know what I discover....