Starting a new engine

Nov 29, 2004
Hi everyone, I just finished assembling my new motor and am planning on trying to start it tommorrow. Does anyone have any tips on proper procedure on how to start a engine with no fluids in it, I know to crank the engine over by keeping the accelerator floored and letting the engine crank for a minute or so to build oil pressure. But what can be done about coolant, any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

whenever I've done it coolant was just in the rad and overflow... then let it run for awhile with the rad cap off until the level goes down then keep adding more... similar on how to get an airlock out of the system... but keep your eye on the temp guage.
As well when actually at the driving stage... lots of short trips with low driving speeds and high speeds.. with both gradual and more "spirited" accelleration. To get the rings and such to seat properly with both driving styles. There's more of a change to break something if you just drive slow and speed up slow if you don't plan on driving like that. It was for like 300 miles, then change the oil and start driving normally.

Performance Red said:
So the coolant should be ok if just left in the rad and overflow, just keep an eye on the temp gauge? I dont need to try and pour coolant down the upper radiator hose or anything like that?

You will undoubtedly have air pockets in your coolant system. Leaving the cap off and running the car will let the air escape, and then you keep adding coolant until you finally have it filled up to the mark. What I did was just drive the car around the parking lot here, and pull back into the garage and top off the coolant. I did this 3 or 4 times before all the air was escaped and I had topped it off properly. As far as starting the engine for the first time, can't help you there since I've never done it.

I've never tried to fill the motor and I've never had problems. this is the way I've always done it... but if you feel more comfortable you can put coolant into the upper rad hose. It won't hurt anything...

Performance Red said:
I know to crank the engine over by keeping the accelerator floored and letting the engine crank for a minute or so to build oil pressure.

say what?????

hit the fuel cut-off switch in the trunk. turn the engine over by hand a few times, turn the ignition to start the car. let it crank for a little while. then turn the fuel back on. now you can start the car.

If you keep the accelerator to the floor, it automatically cuts off fuel, and the engine will just crank, the same way as pressing the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk, i dont really see a negative doing it either way