Starting another custom audio build

alanw6

Dec 19, 2002
memphis, TN
Some of you may remember the thread I posted about the audio build in my 92 LX hatch a while back. Well, the time has come to do my friends 92 LX notch, and it's going to be a little different to keep things interesting.

The victim:

front_quarter.jpg

The system:

Alpine CD player (not sure of model, but a new one with iPod interface and Sirius)
JL Audio 300/4 amplifier
MB Quart PSC 213 5 1/4" components up front
JL Audio 8W6 (x 2) in an old-school JL iso-plate (remember these?)

The radio is a custom dash kit, and switching for a full police strobe kit and wig-wags is in a custom plate in the ashtray (along with line lock, etc.) Both the radio plate and the ashtray panel were made on the CNC. Dave (mansonozz) just added one of these to his car. Pics to come, they're not on this PC.

Did a little something different on the door panels than in my car. Started with a 5.0Resto door panel and built these enclosures:

82066.jpg

These panels were made in layers, with a 1/4" piece of hardboard as the base (in black vinyl to match the door top). Then, a 3/4" piece of MDF holds the speaker (in grey vinyl). Finally, a black grill-cloth covered piece of 1/4" ABS covers the speaker.

It's nice to not have the map pocket mess to deal with, makes for a cleaner looking door.

Moving to the trunk next, more pics will follow...

Alan :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Yea Dave, the trunk. I'll be making two of whatever we come up with. :p

1slowfiveoh, thanks. I kind of like the quart grills, as they're nicer than most. My friend and I decided to try this idea, since it stays "truer" to the rest of the admittedly dated interior design. The grill pops off for easy access to the speakers.

I chose to keep the Quart grill in my install, but neither of us wanted to endure the sanding to do these again:

passenger_door_final.jpg

That application looks sweet too. On mine I have the grill and the ring that mounts to the panel. I just don't prefer that look. I like the "built-in" look like you have done on both of those cars. I can't wait to see the rest of the install!

alanw6 said:
Yea Dave, the trunk. I'll be making two of whatever we come up with. :p

1slowfiveoh, thanks. I kind of like the quart grills, as they're nicer than most. My friend and I decided to try this idea, since it stays "truer" to the rest of the admittedly dated interior design. The grill pops off for easy access to the speakers.

I chose to keep the Quart grill in my install, but neither of us wanted to endure the sanding to do these again:

passenger_door_final.jpg

That is so clean and looks like it belongs but updated.........you are truly talented.

Ryan, that's quite a detour!

Jeff, your car would be perfect for "the next step" on this door panel idea. The center (grey) section painted in body color instead of wrapped in vinyl would be awesome, plus it would nicely complement your trunk install.

flavadave, thanks for the kind words. I'm just trying to do a good job, and there are a zillion installers I look up to that are truly talented.

iwashmycar, don't get too excited. It will hopefully be a nice install, but it won't be very flashy. This one is about light weight and a nice blend of show/stealth.

The trunk is going to be masked and fiberglassed this weekend, and the camera is charging. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the interest!

Alan