Starting Frustration

Good morning everybody,
Two mornings ago I went out to the car, took the cover off, put the key in and turned to the roar of silence. No clicking, no turning over, nothing. Turn the key back to the off position and hear a click coming from the engine bay. I go pop the hood and pull the positive cable, clean off some of the terminal crap, tighten other connections (starter sol, ect..)put it back on and tighten it down. Try it again. Nothing. I sit trying it for 2 minutes thinking and try it one more time before I leave. Success! Starts with no issues. Later I cleaned off the terminals well and grease them with battery goo. No issues starting 3 or 4 times yesterday.
This morning, same story. Nothing at all but a click when I turn the key off. I know I have power because my stereo comes on in the acc position and my tach responds to the turning of the key. Lights work with no issues. I know the starter sol, battery cables, ect are tight and I just replaced the ignition switch about 4-5 months ago.
Anybody have any ideas?? I keep getting haunted by electrical demons only on morning where I have to drive to work! :shrug: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Use a multi-meter to see where you have voltage and where you don't. Check the starter side of the starter solenoid first (takes two people, one holding the key to start, one to check voltage). If you have juice there, your starter has got a bad spot in one of the windings (assuming the power cable from the solenoid to the starter is intact). If you don't have 12v on the starter side of the solenoid, check the signal wire from the dash (S terminal). If you have power there but not on the starter side of the solenoid, you have a bad solenoid. If you don't have power there, you have a problem with your wiring or your ignition switch. Good luck.