Progress Thread Starting New Build

loyalblue

Jun 8, 2013
Katy, TX
Well I've been out of the hot rod scene for about 15 years, previously owning 4 viscious FoxBody's. I just dropped the 302 roller I picked up off of Craigslist...checking for cracks and punching over. Hopefully there aren't any cracks and I can get started on my project. I'm leaning towards a supercharged stroked 331. I'll continue to post the progress I'm making on the build along with questions that come up. The first question(s) I have is (and I've asked this question to others) how much horsepower can a stock 302 block handle? Is it RPMs that split a motor? Is it torque that does it? Can I run a bunch of HP and keep the RPMs below a certain threshold? Is it the build quality? The internals? Can I realistically get 600 to the wheels on a stock block? If not...what should I be aiming at to not split this block?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome. Normally once you start getting around 450-500 crank hp is when you are approaching the limits of a stock block. If you don't wind it to 7000 rpm of lay into the throttle then it will live longer. Putting forged and high dollar internals into a stock block 302 is a waste imo. The block will go before the internals. If you are lwanting 600 hp stop right now and get either a 351 or 302 based dart block.

Obviously the quality of the build and attention to detail play a part in the durability and longetvity of the motor.

If you are not aware, Summit sells a seaseoned 302 block that is already bored .030 over, notched for a stroker, line honed, deburred, magnafluxed, with freeze plugs, cam bearings, and even painted for $750. Not a bad deal when you add up the cost of buying a block and the machine work needed to get it there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150110?seid=srese1gclid=CKyPkLii28UCFQMSHwodlm8Apg

Reactions: 2 users
My .02 on the stock block is this... If you keep rpms below 6k,boost levels at a moderate/lower number, and have a good tune they will last awhile @ the 450-500rwhp. How long? Different for every person. The mains webbing is just to thin for any extreme power and they will fail. If you truly want to push above 450 I really recommend a dart block.

Reactions: 1 users
What about brakes, suspension, fuel, transmission, drive train, cooling and tuning?

damn near every system at that power level will need to be replaced or upgraded.

I know...every system will be replaced. This project will be about a year long build. Hell, I don't even have the car yet. I'm taking my time and I'm not rushing into anything because I have some very specific specifications for what I want to put the motor in (FoxBody Coupe). My questions during these first few months will strictly be about the motor, since that's all I'll be working on...but bigger brakes, upgraded oil/cooling, complete Aeromotive system, springs, struts/shocks, u/l control arms, axels, transmission, cage. This car is going to be my symphony. I guess I'll have to shell out for the Dart block if I want a good symphony...I don't want to grenade the motor the first time out :)
I guess once I get the motor back from my machinist, I'll be selling it. So if you know anyone that needs a fresh (stock) 302, in the Houston area I have one for sell. I thought 600hp was unrealistic, but it doesn't hurt to dream especially since the next best thing is like $1500-ish. Maybe I can find one someone is selling that is good condition (something that could easily be freshened up). Who knows.
I'm gonna live like I did in college for a year and dump everything into this build. Single w/ no kids helps an awful lot :)

Thought the name looked familiar. No more wsm?

I wasn't on WSM...great is there someone on there that has the same handle I do? If I do join WSM, I guess I'll have to change my name...I hear it's a pretty good community. And here I was thinking I was clever with my name :p

Reactions: 1 user
Another Houston boy! Welcome aboard!

Get us some pics of your ride when you can.

Thanks, man...good to be here! I will post pics as soon as I find the car I'm gonna put this motor in...there has to be an unmolested '93 V8 Coupe out there that a grandma bought new off the lot and just drove it to get groceries (during the 22 years she's owned it), liked a manual transmission and will sell it to me for KBB value.;) I'm gonna get this motor bolted together and be patient finding exactly what I want to put it in...not rush into anything.

A roller would be perfect...I guess it makes a lot of sense to convert a 2.3 to a V8 since I mentioned that just about every system would be upgraded with this build. Axels, brakes, suspension, transmission...that a damn good idea GroverDill. That would definitely open up the search parameters for me. Is the computer the same? I know I'll need a new wiring harness...the money I'd save buying a 2.3 could all be put into preparing the car for the motor and it'd have all new parts. Damn good idea, thanks for opening that route up :rock:. Big question...would insurance premiums be cheaper? :chin

A roller would be perfect...I guess it makes a lot of sense to convert a 2.3 to a V8 since I mentioned that just about every system would be upgraded with this build. Axels, brakes, suspension, transmission...that a damn good idea GroverDill. That would definitely open up the search parameters for me. Is the computer the same? I know I'll need a new wiring harness...the money I'd save buying a 2.3 could all be put into preparing the car for the motor and it'd have all new parts. Damn good idea, thanks for opening that route up :rock:. Big question...would insurance premiums be cheaper? :chin

No, not around here. As old as that car is, you won't get full coverage, and unless you're 16-25 years of age, 4 or 8 cyl means squat. If it's worth insuring look at Hagerty or Grundy.

I'm tellin ya, on the FB page, there are several cars for sale, I saw one for $500 - although it didn't have a title. There are many others though.
I'll jump on Houston FoxBodys today...I joined the group last night, pending approval right now. Thanks for the heads-up, looking forward to scrolling what's available on there. Also, if you don't know, there's a search engine called 'SearchTempest' that will comb through every Craigslist there is searching for whatever it is you are searching for...it sorts it by a radius distance from your location. It's pretty cool.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, if you don't know, there's a search engine called 'SearchTempest' that will comb through every Craigslist there is searching for whatever it is you are searching for...it sorts it by a radius distance from your location. It's pretty cool.
Really? You have no idea how much I've wanted something like that.

Really? You have no idea how much I've wanted something like that.

It's freaking awesome...I'll be on there like "Joplin, Missouri...I'll just take a plane up there and drive it back to Houston" :) Seriously...I spend hours on there looking through Mustangs. I've learned that Florida is a hot spot for 5.0s...some of the best looking ones I've seen are from that state.

upload_2015-5-27_8-6-12.png

Talk this guy down some. It's in your back yard.