Starting problem

Black331Stang

Apr 29, 2003
Long Island, NY
hey guys whats up...this isnt regrading to a mustang but its pretty much a general question, and you guys are awesome with help. Its on my Hot tenants lol..94 volvo. The problem is the car will start fine, but when it gets hot and you turn it off and try to start again it wont start. (then it cools and starts again) i first thought starter, assuming like heat soak. But something was wierd. when u go to restart it, it cranks over perfect fast and quick. when i had the problem with my mustang the starter was sluggish. So is this the starter or another problem? any help would be awesome as she needs to go to work tomorrow. thanks again.

• Sponsors (?)

If a starter cranks over quickly, whether or not the car actually starts, the starter is fine. the starter is doing all that it ever does, Leaving an issue with the engine management/engine which is preventing it from 'catching'.

Volvos have different E.M. systems than we do, so I would not venture a guess.
Seriously, for fast answers and a much better idea, i would go search in a Volvo forum. They might have the equivelant to a TFI (for us), where it is known to be the first thing one checks.

Good luck.

I think I had the same problem you are describing, When my car warmed up it wouldn't want to start again and it would crank real slow. I messed around with it one weekend and replaced the starter and battery terminals, and the terminals made a difference but the problem was still there. So my dad and I checked the grounds and they were ugly. One ground had oil and crap in between and another was grounded on paint. After we cleaned it up it fixed the problem.

5.0nmalecek said:
I think I had the same problem you are describing, When my car warmed up it wouldn't want to start again and it would crank real slow. I messed around with it one weekend and replaced the starter and battery terminals, and the terminals made a difference but the problem was still there. So my dad and I checked the grounds and they were ugly. One ground had oil and crap in between and another was grounded on paint. After we cleaned it up it fixed the problem.
I think he said that this Volvo cranked just fine. That would suggest an engine management issue, not primary electrical or starter issue.