starting problem

urdogb8

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
i been having problems with my 95 v6, it wont start. I try to start it and it gave up. and i been trying to start it for the past 3 hours. The fuel pump comes on and the CCRM clicks but thats it. Its not the battery or the starter. What could i be? It done this before like an month ago. And its so hot here cuz im in Arizona, so could that have any affect on it? It only does this every one in awhile

• Sponsors (?)

If a engine will not start, think FAST. Fuel, Air, Spark, and Timing.

Fuel, Confirm fuel pressure. Confirm the fuel injectors are firing with a "noid" style test light. Spray starting fluid into the TB. Does this make it "hit"?

Air, A bad IAC or MAF could cause a no start issue. Hold the throttle half way open. Does this improve starting? Disconnect the MAF electrical connection? Does this improve starting?

Spark, confirm that you have spark with a spark tester.

Timing. A bad crank shaft position sensor WILL cause a no-start condition. Use an ODB scanner to monitor RPM's while cranking. A bad cam sensor can also be an issue with V6's.

For the 95 MY, anti-theft is not a possible cause for a no-start. However, the 95 MY uses the TPS sensor in ways that later MY cars do not.

I am confused as to the sympton. I assumed it CRANKED but did not START.

Your later post give me the impression that the motor does not even turn over. This is normally referred to as NO CRANK.

If the problem is NO CRANK, start first by checking fuses. Check your battery and the cables. Are they clean and tight?

Does your car have an anti-theft system? On pre-1998 Mustangs, if activated, the PATS system disables the STARTER.

Next test for +12 volts at the starter solenoid while cranking. If no voltage, look for a bad transmission safety interlock, ignition switch, or clutch safety switch.

If you do find +12 volts at the solenoid, suspect a bad starter.

I have a 95 mustang with 256000 miles on it the only mod is a cai, my problem is that it takes 4 to 5 seconds of cranking to start the engine, after finding this post i tried the maf test where you unplug the maf sensor, the car started up rite away so i went ahead and bought a new maf sensor from advanced auto and installed it but it still has the same problems, i did the test again and it starts rite up what could this be? could advanced auto have given me a bad maf sensor?