Starting Problems

Justin01

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
Texas
Replaced battery and wires leading to relay and starter. Had the fuel lines cleaned, fuel filter changed, carb and ignition have recently (within the past month) tuned. Car interior lights and gauges light up when I turn the key but the engine starts to turn over for a split second, then does not respond. Anyone know where I could start looking? 1970 automatic 302 mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Justin01 said:
Replaced battery and wires leading to relay and starter. Had the fuel lines cleaned, fuel filter changed, carb and ignition have recently (within the past month) tuned. Car interior lights and gauges light up when I turn the key but the engine starts to turn over for a split second, then does not respond. Anyone know where I could start looking? 1970 automatic 302 mustang.

It could also be a bad starter. It turns for a while & then shorts out. Are you running your battery down faster than usual? Also the solenoid may be the problem.

I believe it is on the transmission where the linkage connects. Try putting it into Neutral (instead of Park) and see if it starts that way. If so, it might just be out of adjustment.

D0ZZ-7A247-A.gif