Starting the RestoMod-- Please guide me!

95CobraStang

Jan 21, 2004
Chico, CA
Hey everyone,

Well I am all set to go on my '67 GT... it has secured a place in the garage and the weather can't touch me now. So, where the hell do I begin????

To let you know how she sits-- I basically have a primered, rust free shell with all doors on and all windows (except the front sides). The suspension is done, and it rolls smoothly. The underside is about as clean as it gets. I need to smooth out i little more of the body, then it will be ready for paint.

Where would you all begin? I apologize if this is an impossible question to answer...

Maybe it will be easiest if I give you my plans in the order I suspect they should be done, then you can switch them around.

1. Put in all new wiring (chassis and EFI)
2. Get body ready for paint
3. Dynamat all interior (I want this thing to be as quiet inside)
4. Run interior speaker wiring
5. Paint it
6. Finish with windows, trim, etc
7. Put interior together (except carpet and seats):
a. all new stuff (pad...trim...door panels..package tray...B&M shifter...etc)
8. Fuel system from tank forward
9. Drop in EFI 302 and all components along with planned AOD tranny
10. Finish up driveline
11. Finish up interior - carpet, seats, door sills

I'm sure I left out an irresponsible amount.

OR...
Can you give me some general guidelines or direct me to a place I can find them.

I am itching to get started, but I don't want my excitement to lead me to skipping steps.

Thanks in advance!! I hope I don't become too irritating. I'll try to utilize the search function as often as possible.

Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

Do all welding & chassis stiffening...torque boxes, sub frame connectors, etc. So tht you have a solid compleat frame to build on.
Do mock up of body drive train & running gear, so that all mods & parts fit.
Then strip parts off to roller & do the painting.
Install electrical wiring & switches. Gaskets & weather strip as necessary.
Install running gear & drive train.
Reassemble body components & glass.
Finish off with car jewlry

Of course some things dictate their own installation time.

I keep a detailed "Priority" list, of what I plan to do, when. Its really helped to keep focused on what to do & budget what parts are needed & have them on hand.
But then much of the time my car was across town, and a lot of time could be wasted if not prepared for a days work on the car.