Steeda Cold Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been debating between JLT, Demolet's Tunable Induction, C&L and now Steeda's cold air induction and can't seem to decide as to which would provide the best quality and performance..Although each kit offers its own unique features over the others, I'm leaning more towards Steeda.. I personally like the design of Steeda's heat sheild, because it appears to block out more heat over the others, plus it also retains the 2 factory rubber bushing mounts, securing it into the factory air box location, much better than C&L's heat sheild, which requires the use of just a single bolt to hold it in place, and I just don't see how just one bolt, can secure the sides and most of all, prevent the bottom of the sheild, from rattlelling and bouncing all over the place, especially, when the car happens to drive over a bump or a rough spot on the highway.. I also like the Billet style MAF 90mm housing, which also provides more air, than the C&L 83mm housing. But on the other hand, is a 90mm MAF providing more air than what an otherwise stock 3v engine really need ?? According to the C&L website, it claims.. Differences of more than 3 horsepower shows a performance advantage that is greater than the assumed possible deviation. That being said, it is safe to say that our new "Racer" system has comparable, if not identical performance to the JLT "True Cold Air" intake assembly. This makes complete sense, as both units have far more airflow capacity than the engine can possibly use at this power level. You will also notice that our original system made slightly more power while tuned at the "richer-than-ideal" stock air/fuel ratio of 12.2 to 1, and it clearly made more power than the larger systems when tuned to a more ideal 13 to 1 air/fuel ratio, making nearly 4 more peak horsepower. This is most likely due to the considerable change in airflow velocity that is required in the larger inlet tube assemblies as the airflow enters the throttle body. With our original system, the smaller diameter maintains an air velocity that is not considerably slower than the throttle body air entry speed. It is likely that our larger "Racer" system can produce more power than our "Street/Strip" system on a heavily modified vehicle, but it is unlikely that most vehicles will see more power with either of the larger "race style" intakes. In order for the "Racer" system to conclusively outperform our original kit, a performance swing of about 7 HP would be required to bring the power level at least 3 HP above the "Street/Strip" system. For this to occur, you would have to surpass the power level at which the original system becomes an airflow restriction. Anyway, these are my concerns and questions, that I'm still not quite sure of.. So if anybody has any opinions, one way or the other, I'd be really grateful for any help and advice, that you may be able to provide... Thanks :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Dear Red05bullitgt,

I have the Steeda CAI which uses the stock rubber intake hose. I like it and it performs as well as any of the others.

If you want "bling" go with the polished C&L system but they all are about the same...

Also, if you are going to supercharge one day, go with a 90mm MAF and you will not have to upgrade later...

1, 2 or 3 HP is nothing to lose sleep over when it comes to a Cold Air Induction System...

Good Luck, Dave

discofan said:
Dear Red05bullitgt,

I have the Steeda CAI which uses the stock rubber intake hose. I like it and it performs as well as any of the others.

If you want "bling" go with the polished C&L system but they all are about the same...

Also, if you are going to supercharge one day, go with a 90mm MAF and you will not have to upgrade later...

1, 2 or 3 HP is nothing to lose sleep over when it comes to a Cold Air Induction System...

Good Luck, Dave
Hi Dave, its nice to know that somebody other than myself, also likes the Steeda CAI. But for some reason, I haven't noticed any other members in this forum who either own a Steeda CAI or have voiced an opinion on here..Perhaps its just not as popular, compared to C&L, JLT, and Demolet.. Anyway, I have no immediate plans to supercharge nor do any major modifications to my 05, nor do I care about bling or looks, my major concern as I mentioned in my original thread is, which CAI will provide the least intake restriction while also providing the best performance and efficency and after reading you're reply, what you mentioned does make a lot of sense, In addition, I totally agree that 1, 2 or 3 HP is nothing to lose sleep over when it comes to CAI Induction Systems and like you said, what's important is the Steeda performs just as well as the others..I suppose that all along, I just needed some feedback from other members to confirm as to whether or not the Steeda CAI performs just as well as any of the others, and it appears that you have..Hopefully, there's other members out there who may confirm this as well.. and if there are, let's hear from you lol. BTW: here's something that you may not be aware of Dave, but Steeda is also the only aftermarket manufacturer to participate directly with Ford, in its technology transfer program, with custom and performance parts makers, in other words and my techincian who works for my local Ford dealer has confirmed, that if I allow him to install any of Steeda's products, it will not void the factory warranty, because of the fact that Steeda, is considered to be an official Ford aftermarket, performance dealer and partner, which after finding all this out, was what finally convinced me, in leaning more towards the Steeda CAI..So anyway, I thank you for all you're help and support, and if you know of any other members who also have the Steeda CAI, by all means.. have them post any of their comments and opinions, they may have on this thread and once again.. thanks for you're reply, Rocky :SNSign:

Dear Rocky,

I didn't know about the Steeda/Ford connection but thanks for the information...

All the guys on the forum have their favorite CAI systems but I don't think that there is one system that is "heads above the crowd" when it comes to performance...

Since you do not plan on too many mods, I think the any of the high-flow CAI systems will work very well...

One note: Steeda does require you to reflash your computer with a tuner because it draws in so much air that the engine will run leaner and you will get a "CEL" if you don't reflash...

Other CAI systems do not require this reflash so, I would believe that the Steeda out performs other CAI systems by working better...

Your choice???

Dave
:nice: :nice: :nice: :nice:

discofan said:
Dear Rocky,

I didn't know about the Steeda/Ford connection but thanks for the information...

All the guys on the forum have their favorite CAI systems but I don't think that there is one system that is "heads above the crowd" when it comes to performance...

Since you do not plan on too many mods, I think the any of the high-flow CAI systems will work very well...

One note: Steeda does require you to reflash your computer with a tuner because it draws in so much air that the engine will run leaner and you will get a "CEL" if you don't reflash...

Other CAI systems do not require this reflash so, I would believe that the Steeda out performs other CAI systems by working better...

Your choice???

Dave

Many other CAI systems (JLT, C&L, etc.) also require a reflash and produce a proven hp and torque increase. Has the Steeda CAI been independently tested on a dyno by anyone yet? I haven't seen any results and the Steeda CAI was not included in the 5.0 Mustang CAI Comparo of a few months ago.

discofan said:
Dear Rocky,

Your choice???

Dave
Hi again Dave, although I don't plan on doing any serious upgrades, such as superchargers, cams (ect) I was planning all along, to go with an x-cal 2 tune anyway, otherwise you're really not going to see much of any performance gains nor experience any of the other benefits, that only a performance tune has to offer by going with any of those other CAI systems that doesn't require a tune. Believe me, I've researched every one of their CAI's, and the only way they can accomplish this, is by actually decreasing the MAF housing to the same size as stock, and there's also others that are actually smaller than the stock MAF and in my honest opinion, you're just wasting you're time and money, because you'll be lucky if you get 10 or maybe up to 15 additional HP. at the very max. So the way I see it is.. If you're going to end up doing a performance tune anyway, then you might as well go with a CAI that's also going to provide you with the maximum amount of airflow that you're intake is capable of as well..As for the Ford and Steeda connection, yes there's no doubt that played out as a major factor in my decision, because when a Ford technician is more than willing to install both the Steeda CAI intake and custom tune, and at the same time knowing that I won't get hasseled over warranty issues, to me that in itself, is one hell of a bonus and one less thing to worry about, so you can rest assure Dave, that you and anybody else out there, who has a Steeda CAI.. you made a very good decision and I'm not trying to knock or put down any of the other high flow systems in anyway, I know their just as good and perform just as well, but personally speaking, if Steeda's products are both supported and endorsed by Ford, then what more is there left to say lol. ? anyway, If you weren't sure of my choice before now Dave..I'm quite sure, you are now :) Rocky :nice: :nice:

RedStang1 said:
Many other CAI systems (JLT, C&L, etc.) also require a reflash and produce a proven hp and torque increase. Has the Steeda CAI been independently tested on a dyno by anyone yet? I haven't seen any results and the Steeda CAI was not included in the 5.0 Mustang CAI Comparo of a few months ago.
That's another good reason why I opened this thread, and if anybody has any info. concerning any independent dyno testing about the Steeda CAI.. I'm sure we all would be very interested, in knowing the results..As for Steeda not being involved in the 5.0 mustang cold score shoot out ? I honestly don't know..my guess is that maybe for some reason, they may have not been invited nor asked to participate and if they were, it could very well be that particular day, the shoot out took place, just didn't fit in with thier schedule, but now that you bring it up..I will ask somebody from Steeda about it.. There were also other's that weren't in the shootout as well, S&B, AEM, AFE, SLP, Granatelli Motorsports and last but least..Airaid..However, I do know that [email protected] has done an independent test of the AFE CAI and is in the process of testing the Airaid CAI..the results for the AFE can be found in the mustang source.com fourm...Anyway hope you'll find some of this helpful..

Doug @ BAMA CHIPS will be doing some dyno testing on my GT system in the next couple weeks and I'll post the results.

A metal shield IS NOT a heat shield. It's simply a fan wash shield.
A polycarbonate shield is both a heat and fan wash shield. Plus if the shield DOESN'T seat into the hood blanket and square off the whole filter area how is it going to block heat??
If you look at the separate shield pic on my site you'll note that I have edge moldings on all the edges that preclude any rubbing or rattling.

NONE of the aftermarket tuners are approved for on road use. Any system that requires a tuner will fall into this non-carb approved designation.

I sent out my new Vortech induction system this week for testing/fitment and this will give customers who already have my non-blower system a nice upgrade package at roughly 1/2 the price of other blower/metered systems when upgrading to the Vortech.

If you like the looks of a metal system my custom painted system in the factory silver w/clear coat looks MUCH BETTER than dull aluminum with all the heat and weight advantages of the plastic.

PS..... I don't know who all the manufacturers were that were invited to the shootout.

Let's say though, HYPOTHETICALLY, that I was a manufacturer that had released a system prior to the shootout and had many thousands of dollars tied up with marketing and manufacturing would I risk the system not showing the advertised gains?

This is just hypothetical 'food for thought'

I always place more faith in Independantly tested results. It cuts through the advertising BS !!

I couldn't wait to send mine.

J DeMolet said:
PS..... I don't know who all the manufacturers were that were invited to the shootout.

Let's say though, HYPOTHETICALLY, that I was a manufacturer that had released a system prior to the shootout and had many thousands of dollars tied up with marketing and manufacturing would I risk the system not showing the advertised gains?

This is just hypothetical 'food for thought'

I always place more faith in Independantly tested results. It cuts through the advertising BS !!

I couldn't wait to send mine.

Was your CAI unit in the 5.0 Mustang shootout? Which one was it (ie.what is it called)?

RedStang1 said:
Hi Redstang, I have a partial answer to you're question, concerning why Steeda was not included in the 5.0 Mustang CAI shootout..I did speak to Pat whose a Sales and Tech support Rep. for Steeda, and he confirmed what I mentioned in my first reply, from yesterday.. And here's his exact words.. Steeda was never contacted nor invited, to take part in the shootout, and he also mentioned, that if the Vice President of Marketing for Steeda, had been asked to participate, he quote un quote, would have jumped at the opportunity, so if you're also reading this John..there goes you're advertizing BS theory, straight out the window.. As for independent dyno testing..I'll have the results from at least one well known SCT tuner and perhaps maybe even 2, hopefully by tomorrow or no later than the end of the week, so stay tuned....

It's a good thing I said "hypothetical".

My system is the Tunable Induction system in the shootout. It was the owners pick of systems to keep after all the systems were tested. This was the prototype system and the production system will post +2hp more with a custom dual - cone and full poly shield.

J DeMolet said:
I contacted Dr. Jamie Meyer, who did the shootout and YES Steeda was invited but they did not respond.

This as related to me today from Dr. Meyer via email.
You claim that Dr. Meyer, related a response via e-mail to you ?? Then post it, so we can all know the truth, as to whether or not Steeda had responded, because its pretty obvious that somebody is full of :bs:

red05bullitgt said:
You claim that Dr. Meyer, related a response via e-mail to you ?? Then post it, so we can all know the truth, as to whether or not Steeda had responded, because its pretty obvious that somebody is full of :bs:

We would like to see it too. Especially since its not the truth. We'll just leave it at that.

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.