Steeda sport springs, should I get CC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

98V6 K.I.T.T.

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2001
Everett, Washington
Simple, do Steeda Sport Springs need Caster/Camber plates? If they don't, I might go with them over H&R SS's because I'm on a tight budget right now and would rather save 200 bucks for C/C plates. Yeah, the drop is better with the SS's but I'm also worried alittle with rubbing issues that low, especially with 275's up front and 315's out back. The stock height is bothering me alot so I got to make a decision.

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 81 notchback with a 2001 4.6L motor and transmission in it. I also have the Steeda Sport Springs. My car took an alignment perfectly with the stock struts, and mounting plates. He said the numbers were great. No caster/camber plates needed. My alignment shop is a hot-rod only shop too. Don't take your car to Belle Tire or Sears. They will just sell you stuff you don't need.

:nonono: lowering without MM camber plates is just wrong. yes, it may be able to be put back to Ford specs but Ford specs are crap!! expect tire wear and when you wear the inside edges of both your front tires that $200 you saved by not getting the plates will be going towards a new pair of tires

Honestly, if they are able to align it properly then i don't see there being a big problem. The stock suspension held my stock goodyears fine for along time. I'll probably get some down the road if I see problems. But thanks for your advice.

post up the specs when you get it done and i'll let you know if it was done properly. my guess is you will have -1.3* camber. it will be in "spec" but will also eat your tires off!

thats boo hicky
Camber plates arent neccessary, heck even with sportlines if i have a say in it. Go ahead, get ripped off.
If the alignment specs are close nuff' then your good. Who cares if its a little off. I have noticed no abnormal tireware and a little negative camber is a good thing

post up the specs when you get it done and i'll let you know if it was done properly. my guess is you will have -1.3* camber. it will be in "spec" but will also eat your tires off!
he's pretty much right about the degree. I have c-srpings with no plates and am at -.9 degrees on driver and just over a degree on passenger after alignment. Within stock tolerances and i haven't had any unusual tire wear since - but it's not perfect.

thats boo hicky
Camber plates arent neccessary, heck even with sportlines if i have a say in it. Go ahead, get ripped off.
If the alignment specs are close nuff' then your good. Who cares if its a little off. I have noticed no abnormal tireware and a little negative camber is a good thing

i guess you're the ASE tech here, right?? :nono:sorry, you're WRONG!! if you dont give a crap about your tires wearing out then dont install the plates. but dont go handing out advice that you dont have any clue about.

and no camber plates with Sportlines?!?! i had those on my car and there is NO WAY IN HELL you can say that your alignment was even close to being in spec. your whole post is simply rediculous.

and i LITTLE negative camber is ok. -1.5* is NOT ok. it WILL cause tire wear issues and is not needed at all on a street car.

if you want any REAL advice from someone who actually works on suspensions 5 days a week let me know! i have a LOT of good info.

OK, you really, really will need these. I don't completely agree with SaleenGT2001 on the need for CC plates, because there are a lot of things going on here that you will need to address that are (for right now) much more important than CC plates. For one thing, your bump steer (what happens under hard breaking or going over bumps) needs to be addressed because the tie rods are no longer in the same relationship as they were stock. Secondly, the roll center of the vehicle is now approximately 6 inches under ground which leads to tire wear, but more importantly very unpredictable handling on the edge of control.
SO, do these first, and you will see adramatic change in the handling of the vehicle, and you will make better use of the lowered vehicle's dynamics, then, if you want go out and buy CC plates but IMO, after these mods, you may not need them.
http://www.steeda.com/products/x2_balljoints.php

http://www.steeda.com/products/bumpsteer_kit.php

If you really like Maxim, they probably make the same thing along with Griggs.

i guess you're the ASE tech here, right?? :nono:sorry, you're WRONG!! if you dont give a crap about your tires wearing out then dont install the plates. but dont go handing out advice that you dont have any clue about.

and no camber plates with Sportlines?!?! i had those on my car and there is NO WAY IN HELL you can say that your alignment was even close to being in spec. your whole post is simply rediculous.

and i LITTLE negative camber is ok. -1.5* is NOT ok. it WILL cause tire wear issues and is not needed at all on a street car.

if you want any REAL advice from someone who actually works on suspensions 5 days a week let me know! i have a LOT of good info.

No, haha I don't need any damn advice.
"OO look, I'm a forum nerd, make sure you use you caster plates young man! :rlaugh:

Boo hickee i say! boo hickee!
I'm running sportlines with no isolators, and my tires wear just fine!

No, haha I don't need any damn advice.
"OO look, I'm a forum nerd, make sure you use you caster plates young man! :rlaugh:

Boo hickee i say! boo hickee!
I'm running sportlines with no isolators, and my tires wear just fine!

i had sportlines with NO isolators also. guess what my camber was at -1.9* that will eat a tire on the inside edge.

anyways like i said, IF ANYONE NEEDS ANY REAL ADVICE, PM ME.

i'm done putting up with idiots who have no idea what they are talking about!!!!:Zip2:

Jbauer on ignore............

Theres no need to resort to these sort of remarks bud.
I consider myself a pretty knowledgable person... Well, enough to the point of reason anyway. Sportline + no iso = good tireware for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.