Steeda tri-ax or MGW shifter?

stangboy

Founding Member
Aug 31, 1999
New Orleans, LA
Hey guys I need a shifter for my new TKO 600 and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with both shifters. I've been using a Steeda tri-ax on my 3550 for years without a problem but I've heard a lot of good stories about the MGW shifter. What do you guys think? They both cost the same price so that's not a determining factor.

• Sponsors (?)

I've had a steeda tri-ax on my 89 for many years, and it's been great. I bought an 04 Cobra last summer, and put an MGW on it. Best part of the MGW on the Cobra was the adjustable handle that let me move it back and towards me, which made a big difference, especially reaching for reverse. For the 89, I don't know that there would be a big difference between them. I know I need to pick up a TKO sometime soon for the 89....

I just put a Tri-axe in my 91 vert last weekend. I also had one in my 2000 GT.
Huge improvement over the sloppy stock shifter. I will say that there is much more transmission noise now though.
I'm assuming due to the more rigid shifter assembly.

Riverart I was thinking of doing the same setup as you have, I had the Hurst kit in my '91 but still had the stock shifter. I was wondering even with the long handle of the Hurst stick, is it still very beneficial to be running a tri-ax under it?

I sometimes wonder how beneficial the lower half of a shifter really is. I had a stock shifter, hurst,and b&m all laying here and tried to find the differences between them and honestly they had the same throw. The main differences was how the center themselves when in neutral the hurst and b&m were quicker to re center than stock. When I picked up my 83 I slapped the shorter handle from the b&m on the stock shifter and it diddnt feel as sloppy as before. Just some food for thought