Steeda Tri Ax shifter

• Sponsors (?)

frathouse said:
Is it just me or is the MGW not the best? lol Call me stupid if they do not make it for the 05-06 yet but it's all the rage on the 99-04 boards. Smooth, Little to NO shift noise...sweet =)
The MGW shifter and the Steeda Tri Ax shfiter are both good quality.

Whats the difference between the Steeda Tri-Ax and the Steeda sport shifter? I know theres a $100 difference but what really is there besides that?

Also, Saleen has a $60 kit for a short throw. It must use the same hardware already in there but just makes it..well...a shorter throw.

Shifter

I bought the Saleen short shift adapter kit and the Steeda urathane bushing kit that replaces the soft rubber bushings on each end of the stock shifter. I have read that using these two upgrades makes the stock shifter as good as any after market piece. Hope to have them installed soon, along with Red Line lube in the tranny & rear end.

Release Date

adamb258 said:
im holding out for an MGW. in past stangs have had pro 5.0, steeda and MGW. MGW blew them waaaay out of the water, its worth the wait to me

I emailed MGW about a release date and this is the response I got:

we do plan on making one and have actually done some initial design work but we have a gov't. homeland security contract we are working on this summer that is pushing back our car parts development to the fall :>(

regards
george
www.mgwltd.com
4159 mike padgett highway
augusta, ga 30906

706-793-1770

Pliskin said:
Whats the difference between the Steeda Tri-Ax and the Steeda sport shifter? I know theres a $100 difference but what really is there besides that?

The $300 Steeda Tri-ax is a Complete Billet design with internal offset springs.
The Steeda Sport shifter uses a Factory shifter base (thin Steel), with a new internal shift lever, revised pivot ratio and billet aluminum shifter top with built in shifter stops. It's lacking the billet strength and offset springs.

I have tried both and honestly like the billet design slightly better.

To answer this question.....By Anthony05GT .... "and when you pull up on it, there´s a lot of up-down play".

This is because the shifter design with relation to the base and the internal shift lever, is a ball and socket type joint. The 05 Mustangs transmission already has springs to help "center" the shifter, therefore Steeda didn't use as strong as a spring (as in pre 05 Tri-ax's) to help it go from 2nd to 3rd automaticly by just pressing forward. This then leave the abilty to pull up slightly on the lever, which is the ball slightly coming out of the socket. No big deal at all, but why are you shifting up and down instead of front to back :D

Long Stroke said:
The $300 Steeda Tri-ax is a Complete Billet design with internal offset springs.
The Steeda Sport shifter uses a Factory shifter base (thin Steel), with a new internal shift lever, revised pivot ratio and billet aluminum shifter top with built in shifter stops. It's lacking the billet strength and offset springs.

I have tried both and honestly like the billet design slightly better.

To answer this question.....By Anthony05GT .... "and when you pull up on it, there´s a lot of up-down play".

This is because the shifter design with relation to the base and the internal shift lever, is a ball and socket type joint. The 05 Mustangs transmission already has springs to help "center" the shifter, therefore Steeda didn't use as strong as a spring (as in pre 05 Tri-ax's) to help it go from 2nd to 3rd automaticly by just pressing forward. This then leave the abilty to pull up slightly on the lever, which is the ball slightly coming out of the socket. No big deal at all, but why are you shifting up and down instead of front to back :D

Thanks! I guess I'll be picking up the Steeda Tri-Ax

I have the tri-ax in my GT and I love it, but there are a few issues:
1) had to shim it to get it into 5th and reverse
2) recently the left detent spring crapped out and I have to send it back to Steeda to be reapired. It still works fine but it has about 1/2" of play when its in gear

Steve_05GT said:
I have the tri-ax in my GT and I love it, but there are a few issues:
1) had to shim it to get it into 5th and reverse
2) recently the left detent spring crapped out and I have to send it back to Steeda to be reapired. It still works fine but it has about 1/2" of play when its in gear

Steve,
Make sure you let Steeda know about shimming it to make 5th gear smoother. I believe you prolly have an early version of the shifter, which used brass bushings at the bottom of the shift lever. There has since been a revision that uses the stock nylon bushings with a new bracket for the bottom of the lever. This will eliminate that problem. And send it back to get the spring replaced or if you think you can they can prolly send you one. It's the Beauty of having a "life time" warrantee.

:D

yea, I do have a brass bushing in the bottom of the shifter. My only issue is having to swap that thing out again. I'll have to ask about the revised bushing and bracket, thanks.

As far as the play goes, when/if your spring breaks, you'll know. It was tight one day and kinda flopping around the next, I was actually worried about driving it for a day or so, but after checking it out I figured it was safe.

I'll keep everynone informed on the warranty work.

Steve

hmmm maybe mines broken, i had it removed and then put in a 2nd time, i had to go to the dealer, and this time its much looser, i kinda like it tho its easier to get into gear. i gotta sit in another car with a tri ax and test it.