Steering Parts Check Out But Still Bumpsteeting. Help!

Hey guys

Been daily driving an 89 GT vert for last two months. I bought it off the second owner, only 97k miles and very detailed and extensive service records.

The car sometimes drives straight, sometimes pulls left, sometimes right. Wanders around the lane and wheel jerks when I hit bumps. On the highway it's pretty straight but takes some concentration to keep in your lane.

So, I lifted the car up, and the tie rods and ball joints seem tight. The wheels have no perceptible play left/right or top/bottom. Tires are wearing evenly. Looked around the rack and it's covered in grime and grease, so sprayed with degreaser, ran the motor turning the wheel left and right and couldn't see any leaks.

Power steering fluid is grey/black and disgusting looking but reservoir is full.

What next?? Not sure where to go from here... is this steering just this sloppy?

Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Running 225 60R15's all around. Read about tramlining... does seem to exhibit that kind of behavior, tracking along the road grooves and pitch. I played with the rag joint a little bit it seemed tight... but how would I check the rack bushings? Just stick a screwdriver in there and see if they're soft?

Maybe a new rag joint, set of poly bushings, and flush the PS system fluid and see if that tightens it up?

Your bushing up front could be shot in the PS rack and A-arms. You may not be able to move this stuff by hand to find out.

Take it to a shop and get your alignment checked. Quick and easy.

You're describing tramlining, which has several causes and cures, such as:

Tires. If the tires are more worn on one edge than the other, they'll try to climb ruts. The wider the tire, the worse the problem
Camber. The more negative camber, the more it'll tend to tramline.
Toe setting, and/or A-arm bushings that aren't capable of holding it (I suspect this is a big part of your problem)
Strut mounts being too mushy
Old balljoints, especially if it's "memory steering", or not returning to center by itself
Worn tie rod ends (inners are especially prone to wear on these)
Loose wheel bearings