Steering Questions...

I just purchased a 98 GT Vert last week. Good car but has a few minor issues. Only 80K miles on it. My first question is about steering. There is a little shimmy and play in the front end. I just put tires on it so I’m sure they are balanced well. I got under the car last night expecting to find tie rod ends in need of replacement. They are not in great shape but do not have any obvious play. Pulling around on various things it appears as if the play is in the rack and pinion unit. Is this a common issue with these cars? I’ve rebuilt engines etc, so I feel my skills are more than adequate to tackle replacing the unit this weekend. I’ve researched it and it appears pretty straight forward. Someone suggested it sounded like the steering shaft u-joints. Anyone have any thoughts/experience they would like to share on this before I dive in headfirst.

• Sponsors (?)

Could be ball joints, tie rod ends or the rack itself could be failing. My rack and pinion went out on my 98 GT vert, but it was a super easy fix. It's not hard at all to change, just remember to bleed the hydralic lines when you're done.

Oh and subframe connectors are a GREAT thing on a vert. Fun test, jack up the car from the front or rear, and try to open the doors, they wont. Put subframe connectors on then and do it again, surprise! hehe. I'm not sure it's supposed to happen like that, but it did on my car lol.