Steering Rack Removal For New Bushings

Gentlemen, have a 2002 GT and I'm in the process of upgrading the bushings in the steering rack. I've read that I just need to disconnet one bolt and the rack can be pulled forward from the steering column. With all the power steering lines and the cramped space I can't see a bolt to remove. There is a large nut next to the drivers side bushing, but I don't know if that's the one.

Any help will be appreciated, have to drive to work on Monday.

Thanks,
Lonestar

• Sponsors (?)

Just remove the two long carriage bolts and see if it will move forward enough. Maximum Motorsports has installation instructions on their website that show some good details.

That one bolt is probably in reference to the steering shaft. You'll need to disconnect the shaft from the rack in order for the rack to slide forward. Look forward at the steering shaft from behind the k-member (you're looking towards the front of the car).

There's two bolts holding the rack on. They are hard to break loose, so if you have a breaker bar it helps.

That one bolt is probably in reference to the steering shaft. You'll need to disconnect the shaft from the rack in order for the rack to slide forward. Look forward at the steering shaft from behind the k-member (you're looking towards the front of the car).

There's two bolts holding the rack on. They are hard to break loose, so if you have a breaker bar it helps.

Was able to pry rack forward enough to pull our bushings when the mounting bolts were removed. All that work in a cramped space in 95 degree heat and I can't really tell a difference in steering. I'm sure it's better I'll have to load it up and really check it.

Thanks for the help.
Lonestar

So you were able to install the back bushings without loosening the bolt to the steering shaft? I have to get under the car this weekend to install these same bushings. I might try to do it without messing with the steering shaft. I did install one bushing real quick cos the old one was pretty much gone. i noticed a difference right away.

mr. b_98GT:

Like BurningRubber, I recall having to disconnect the steering shaft. Mark it well before you disconnect! Kilgore Trout gave some very good advice about going to the M/M site and looking for instructions.

Chris

Reactions: 1 user
So, I wasn't able to remove the metal sleeves with vice grips, they are in there good and tight. I was pressed for time so I installed new bushings in the front only, but I plan on going back in there to finish it up so I can get an alignment done. I know the easiest way is to remove the metal sleeves, but is it possible to pull the rack out enough to clear the sleeves and install the rear bushings? I loosened the 13mm bolt to the steering shaft, but I did not take it off. I was able to pull the rack forward, but not enough to clear the metal sleeves. Do I REMOVE the 13mm bolt off the steering shaft? I read to mark the steering shaft in an up down motion also to line it back up.