steering shaft question

310stanger

Aug 15, 2006
stock or flaming river? i have power steering and have NO intentions of getting rid of it. Reason I ask the question is because my steering wheel has the typical fox body excessive play from those rubber rag joints. i noticed that flaming river sells sold shafts. Anyone have any experience with these? was it worth it? expensive?

• Sponsors (?)

stock or flaming river? i have power steering and have NO intentions of getting rid of it. Reason I ask the question is because my steering wheel has the typical fox body excessive play from those rubber rag joints. i noticed that flaming river sells sold shafts. Anyone have any experience with these? was it worth it? expensive?

Personal opinion here: I started to go through the trouble of replacing the rag joint....then I realized that, while it was inexpensive, it wasn't worth it going through all that trouble to put in a new crappy, outdated, piece. So I stopped and simply deal with the play until I have the extra cash to drop on a solid shaft.

I drove my friends 91 Coupe with a Flaming River solid shaft and a new rack, the steering felt wonderful...it felt how a new car feels. When the time comes when I "need" to replace it, I am going with the Flaming River one.

My old 93 vert, and now this 92 hatch, both suffered from the worn out rag joint disease. I installed solid shafts on both and couldn't be happier. You can replace the stock rag joint, and it should work ok for awhile, but eventually you will need to do the work all over again. The solid shafts are a bit more, but for a one time, fix it for good, they can't be beat.
Good luck,
Ken