Steering tightening

geostang351

Mar 30, 2005
Danb., CT
I have the original steering box in my 68 coupe and have read several times from people that there is some adjustment to these boxes that can be done to help remove some steering wheel slop (mine moves side to side 3 inches or so without moving the tires). Does someone have a diagram or picture where the adjustment screw is located (if there is one). I'm not looking to upgrade to R&P yet or put in a new steering box $$$. Any help is appreciated. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Looking down from the top you will see a threaded stud sticking out of the top cover of the steering box with a lock nut on it. Loosen the lock nut and turn the threaded stud in about 1/8 of a turn. If you screw it in too far your steering could lock up because you are taking the slack out of a worn spot on your worm gear which is usally the straight ahead position. Most likely the major part of the slop is in the rest of the system.

If you have a factory tilt column a substantial amount of play can develop there. The u-joints inside go to crap sometimes, most likely from a previous impact. I don't really have any idea how to eliminate this problem; when mine went silly, I cashed it in on EBAY. Even in fair condition, they go for a mint :nice:

The other big culprit is the control valve.

If you haven't rebuilt your c/v, consider either, a REPUTABLE rebuilder, or buying a new one.

If you want a permanent solution, rebuild everything that isn't recently new; I would not start with the box. From what I can gather, in your case, that would mean idler arm, C\V, pump, lines, and the inner tie rods. Use moog parts, Rockauto is real cheap there. If you still have play at that point, replace the box. Borgeson seems to be a reputable and reasonable choice.

Unfortunately, piecemealing your steering situation is going to likely give you piecemeal results. So consider your investment. My solution was more radical, do what you think is appropriate.

Good luck

Replacing the box is cake. I took mine out in about 10 minutes. Very easy to do actually.

It can be, unless you have >=351 or long tube headers. It used to take me 20 minutes of twisting and turning to get that bastard in. Luckily, that was before the wife's pregnancy, I used to be in good shape.

At least you don't have a '67 with the one-piece shaft. Then you'd have to take the steeing wheel off too and slide the whole mess out from under the car.

Woohoo, spear o' death. Turns a typical rear ending into massive internal hemmoraging, mmm squished internal organs. Luckily, in 1968 federal regulations mandated a collapsable steering column, among other things. 'Guess Nader did a few good things...

If I had a 67', the first thing I'd do is replace the column, brake pedal, box, and add a rag joint. Life's too short to die with a steering shaft through your sternum.

BTW: stangersite offers c/v rebuilding. From what I've heard, he's pretty reputable.

http://www.stangerssite.com/controlvalverebuilds.html

on my coupe, my steering was really sloppy as well. before i adjusted the steering box, i had someone wiggle the wheel within the slop zone and looked under the hood. sure enough, the arm that goes from the steering box to the control arm was moving just slightly enough, but not moving the control arm. i just replaced the rubber that goes between there, tightened the nut, and bingo, perfect.